Premed 101 Forums

AMCAS conversion

Guest arachniphobic730

Guest arachniphobic730

hey guys:

i went to u of t, and on my transcript, there are both letter and percentage grades...but here in canada, a 75 is like B whereas in the states, it's like C or something...so do you think i should enter the numerical or letter grades onto amcas? i'm scared that if i enter my numerical grades, it will convert it into a really really low gpa that actually isn't my gpa on my transcript...

any thoughts?

thanks muchos

Guest Madz25

Hi there,

I am also a UT student and I've applied to US schools this year. I called AMCAS to ask the very same question. I was told to enter the letter grades, which I did. My AMCAS GPA ended up being exactly the same as my UT GPA. Also, for credit hours, I just put 0.5 or 1.0 depending on the weight of the course. Hope this helps!

Madz

• 4 weeks later...

Be sure to check your grade conversions after AMCAS has processed your application.

They converted some of my grades incorrectly, which resulted in my calculated GPA's being lower than they should have been. Luckly I caught it and they fixed it after I told them.

Guest canuck0000

I entered both my letter and percentage grades from UBC, and AMCAS just used the letter grades to calculate my GPA from the looks of the verified GPA. Also, about the 75% being a B in Canada vs. a C in the US, that isn't always true. Some schools in the US do have 75% being a C+, but others have 75% being a B, hence AMCAS just using the letter grades your university uses.

That's good b/c I dont know about anyone else, but that would most likely "inflate" my GPA. So if I get an 81, it's an A, and considered a 4.0. And if I get a 75, that would be considered a B, which I think is a 3.5.?

At U of T an 81 is actually an A-, which is a 3.7. I'm assuming AMCAS keeps the same scale since my GPA didn't change after they verified my application.

75 is a B, which is 3.0.

Madz

Archived