Premed 101 Forums

Summer School Credits

Guest RXK

Hello Everyone,

could anyone list some of the U.S. schools that consider summer credits into their gpa consideration. also, do most U.S. schools consider all grades achieved in undergrad years or do they only consider a certain number of credits / years (will full course loads)????

Thanks a bunch!

Thanks Moo...

....btw, do u know if they consider all undergrad courses taken into their gpa calculation? or, for example, do they only consider the last two years of study?

Thanks again

All courses that you took after high school will be considered. So, for example, if you enrolled in a community college after high school, you 'll have to put that on your AMCAS application. US schools will not distinguish your best two or three years. All years will be considered equally, but a lot of schools are more sympathetic to the student who started out badly, then improved than one who started off doing well and then deteriorated.

Guest Elaine I

Hi Moo,

Do you know of any schools that are "sympathetic" to the 'slow-starters' at university? Any research I've done has just stated the GPA cut-offs, but not distinguished between early and late GPAs.

Thanks for your help,

Elaine

I don't think there's really a list that shows which schools are more sympathetic to the slow starters. I think this is just a general trend of med schools in the US. Some that may be more sympathetic may be the lower-tier schools, but I know some higher tier schools also can be sympathetic. Osteopathic schools generally are more concerned about trends and ECs.

Thanks again Moo,

lastly, could you give me an idea of the general gpa cutoffs for u.s. schools; starting with lower tier and then higher tier schools.

thanks again and hope this isn't a trouble,

RXK

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I'm not sure if you're aware but there are many medical schools in the US. As such, what you're asking is a pretty big set of data for one person to compile. If you're interested in applying to the US schools, though, the following book may be of interest:

Medical School Admission Requirements

(Did anyone recognize the cover of this book, by the way? I'd always assumed they were UBC students. :) )

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hi Kirsteen,

i just meant a few gpa cutoffs for some schools (ones you may have applied to) from the top of your head and not for all the schools... sorry about that.. and, i did check out that website you recommended; it was very helpful.

RXK

Archived