Premed 101 Forums

canadians interviewing in U.S.

Guest violetk

Guest violetk

Hey guys,

do you mind sharing your statistics or maybe you know a website with such information? What gpa, mcat do you need as a foreign student to get an interview in U.S.?

Thanks!

To get interviews at US schools, you'll probably need a GPA of around 3.5 - 3.6 and an MCAT score of around 30 (give or take a couple points). Higher tier schools obviously require higher GPAs/MCATs. Schools like Wash U will probably require a GPA of at least 3.8 and an MCAT of at least 35. Schools like Hopkins and Harvard will require similar numbers with some other outstanding ECs.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest leafsone

Hi moo,

Thanks for all the info. you've been able to give for Canadians going to the US. Do you happen to know if more weight is placed on MCAT scores or GPA in American schools? I have a GPA of around 3.82, but 30 on the MCAT (already written them twice and really don't want to write them again).

Thanks!!

You have an excellent GPA that should be competitive for most schools. Your MCAT score is right around average for accepted applicants, so unless your MCAT is lopsided, I would say you have a pretty good chance at getting into a school. As for GPA vs. MCAT, this really varies from school to school. Almost all schools will consider the MCAT heavily, but the GPA is important as well. Because your MCAT is not bad at all, I wouldn't worry too much about this point.

Guest leafsone

Thanks for the response.

Got 10s across the board (N on essay though>: ). Was kind of discouraged since I've applied here in Canada a few times and haven't got in. Looking forward to more options in the States next year!!

Guest studentz

Hi,

Your GPA is great and your MCAT might only hurt you at the top 10 schools which generally have averages around 36.

Just be sure to apply really, really early (June/July) because many schools have rolling admissions and start to send out acceptances in the fall.

rankings

Here's a link I found to an excel file with the latest US rankings, but don't take em too seriously. It has the avg. GPA and MCAT for the top 50 US schools I think, with other info. Click on US News Rankings and it'll open an excel file.

Bye

Guest medschoolboy

hey moo, would you mind posting what kind of stats you had to get into northwestern? I would have pm but i can't find that fuction. thanks.

Archived