Premed 101 Forums

how to calculate gpa

Guest ctscan

Guest ctscan

Hi person who's reading this,

Sorry, I decided to make a new thread about this although I'm sure it's been addressed many times.

I was wondering when you convert your Canadian percentage mark to a US gpa, should you do it for all the years of schooling you have attended? i.e. I've finished 3 years of undergrad already and will be starting my 4th this upcoming fall. My best two year average (which is what the previous med school I applied to looked at) is 90 which I would guess is around a 3.8-3.9 GPA, but my overall average is only 87 (I had one really bad year) and I think my GPA would plummet down to the 3.7-3.8s somewhere. Also, would my 4th year marks be taken into account even though I'm applying either before or near the start of this school year?

Thanks

You should do it for all years you've completed to date. If you're applying during your fourth year, your fourth year will not count but you can use it later on to augment your application if you're waitlisted. If you've graduated and are applying then your fourth year will count regardless. Good luck

Guest ctscan

Thanks for replying moo.

You've confused me with that last part: "If you've graduated and are applying then your fourth year will count regardless."

Say I have the option to graduate right now, before taking my 4th year. Although I'm sure it still won't count, but I have confidence that I can do really well this upcoming year and it would further help me work harder if I know my marks will count, otherwise it seems like wasted effort to even go to school.

Archived