Premed 101 Forums

states or canada?please help

Guest ikaj

Hi, I would go anywhere in Canada or the US for school.

I live in Alberta so my chances are best here. But, what are my chances if I compare other provinces with the US? Do I have a better chance in another Canadian province in terms of competitive GPA or would I be better off applying to the states?

Guest peachy

It's not all or nothing - you can apply both here and in the US, right? I don't think that your chances are uniformly better or worse in the US vs Canada. It depends on (1) the schools, and (2) your particular profile...

Like, I can't imagine that there is any school in Canada that would be harder to get into than, say, Harvard. But I would think it would be easier to get admission to pretty much any osteopathic school in the US than to any school in Canada... I'm not sure about that, though, just my sense from reading SDN. :)

It also heavily depends on you. US schools tend (from what I've heard from friends who have had an easier time getting in there than here) to be more holistic in how they evaluate applications. They're not going to throw away your application because you're 0.1 below their GPA cutoff, or because your MCATs are one point too low. They also tend to weigh MCAT more heavily than GPA, because of the bigger variation in standards among American undergrad grading schemes than in Canada. These things could be an advantage or disadvantage, depending on you.

(just some things to think about - I didn't apply to the US myself, though I looked into it, and am not an expert about any of this stuff :) )

It really depends on what school you apply to. Some of the lower end privates like Finch and NYMC are pretty easy to get into (my friend got into Finch with a 20000 scholarship... tuition was still 15000 for her but a lot more affordable). Other higher end schools are not so easy to get into. Still, the whole game is a crapshoot, so even if you think you have a good chance at school X, they may not take you because of something they didn't like. US schools do tend to take more middle of the road people--people who have good but not great GPAs and whose EC's are good but once again not great. The exception are the UC's--extremes rule there and I wouldn't apply to any of them unless your GPA/MCAT are at least 3.9/36 or you've done some great missionary work in the Congo or something.

Guest jeffbeene

hey,

do you know (even if approximate) what sort of stats your friends who got into those usa school were in terms of gpa/mcat?

thanks a bunch.

JB.

Guest peachy

If you go to www.mdapplicants.com, there are at least a few profiles of Canadians who applied to American schools. I don't see an easy way to get all of them at once, but you can search by individual Canadian undergraduate schools to get a sense of it, if you're trying to find some anecdotal info...

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there moo,

Sorry for being a bit out of it, but what are "UCs"? An alternate acronym for the ivy leagues? :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest peachy

The University of California system, I assume? The UC's are notoriously hard to get into relative to the rest of the state schools in the US.

yeah UC's are the University of California schools. Cali residents are like Canadian residents, huge number of applicants, not enough in state schools, hence many seek their education elsewhere (out of state). I know of Cali residents who get into Columbia, etc. who didn't get in anywhere in state.

Archived