Premed 101 Forums

Funding

Guest Chieka101

Guest Chieka101

Any thoughts, advice, places to look etc. for funding for a Canadian student for an American med school. Is OSAP available?

The price tag is pretty hefty and no summer job will do....

C.

I am financing my education via bank loans, some govt loans and about half from my parents. Expensive proposition considering you have to pay interest on it (bank loans that is). I figure though you'll be making enough to pay it back, and most my classmates will be in the same boat if not worse, since they have undergrad debt as well.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest sally2001

Hi Moo,

How much are you guesstimating your med school debt will be by the time you graduate? I'd love to attend med school in the states (or anywhere really ;) ) but the cost is a major deterrent. If you hadn't borrowed money from your parents, would you still be able to obtain enough from Govt loans to cover your tuition & living expenses?

Thanks,

sally

Guest Guess whoz Bizzak

Hey Chieka!

I know that there are various govn't loans we are eligible for (OSAP, Millenium Scholarships etc..). Banks are also willing to give you a line of credit to cover the rest. I will not have any parental support, and thus will have to really figure out this financing thing on my own. Speak to someone from the CSLP (Canada Student Loans Program) and they should be able to direct you further. That's what I plan on doing. On another note, have you heard back from UConn as yet?!? I just got my acceptance letter yesterday, and am very excited. It would be great to have another Canadian down there with me if I decide to go. Anyway, all the best!

~JZ

Guest Chieka101

Thanks for the info re student loans. I spoke with a med student friend yesterday and she suggested the International Student Loan Program and/or the Canadian Higher Education Loan Program. You may need a co-signer (ex. a parent) for this loan. The website is http://www.iefc.com

To Guess Who's Bizzak:

Congrats to you!!! I got a letter from UCONN yesterday too. I heard about it in the car, after my Wayne State interview (which went well, by the way).

So, where does UCONN stand on your list? Do you think you'll go? Keep me posted okay? Maybe I'll see you down there. ;)

C.

Guest BrainDrain

Congratulations you two!xyxthumbs.gif

Also, don't forget that some American schools give scholarships (free money)....you may want to look into that.

BrainDrain

U.S.outtahere.gifCanada

Guest Guess whoz Bizzak

Thanks Chieka and Braindrain!

UCONN is high on my list in the states, and if I don't get in here in Canada, that is where I would like to go. I'll definately keep you posted nonetheless. Braindrain: thanks for your advice and guidance- much appreciated man! Off to check out that student loan site. Need all the $$$ I can get!

~JZ.

Guest ekimike

I also have great concerns about financing a potential medical education in the US. I have an interview at Stanford in February, and one of the major concerns that I have is how I will be able to afford going to Stanford if I am fortunate enough to be accepted. They have told me that the cost of tuition is currently ~12,000 US/quarter and that the cost of living in Palo Alto is also very expensive. I have estimated that the total cost of my school and living expenses will be about $400,000 Cdn over the course of four years. Yikes! Of course, as an international student, I am not eligible for any US federal grants or other forms of financial aid. I will rely on getting some money from my parents, and on loan programs such as CanHELP. I am also hoping that my wife will be able to find some work down there to help defray some of the costs, however, this will not be easy. I was also told that many students at Stanford are able to conduct research during the summer months, and are paid an amount of money that covers a quarters worth of tuition (roughly $12,000). Similar opportunities are likely available at other schools. Good luck to any Canadians that must fly south to do medicine...

-ekimike

Archived