Premed 101 Forums

Number of OOP interviews?

Guest alysha05

Guest alysha05

Hello,

I was wondering how many OOP applicants U of M is interviewing this year? According to their admissions report 2005, they had interviewed 74 last year.

thanks.

Guest silverjelly86

I think that they end up offering to quite a bit of OOP applicants because many of them get accepted to other places and go there, so it's not as competitive as you may think. Check the stats on the U of M Faculty of Medicine page somewhere, and you'll see that last year, more than half of the OOP applicants were offered a spot (39/74)! That ain't too bad, and brings the probability of acceptance either about the same or a bit higher than being an in-province applicant.

Guest Lurkergonepublic

I agree - chances are better than they look. I've crunched numbers at a coupl of schools (including UofM) and I've noticed that in general if you get an interview (in either category) you have statistically about a 1 in 3 chance of getting an offer. It varies from school to school. OOP is certainly more competitive, but there's also a higher number of those people likely to get multiple offers, thus freeing up some space. Unfortunately knowing this doesn't make waiting any easier, nor getting an eventual rejection, but at least it's something to talk about. :)

Guest alysha05

Yup, I agree U of M seems to have the best odds for OOP applicants; compare to UBC, which interviewed 89 this year for 9 spots! I suspect my money is going down the drain on that one!

cheers,

alysha

Archived