Premed 101 Forums

Canadian students

Guest dogeatdog12

Guest dogeatdog12

I just wanted to know to something. Are canadian students looked on favorably by american medical schools. Are Canadian students on par with American students in terms of undergraduate reputation with medical schools?

I was going to apply next year but I wasn't sure if there is any point. Canada doesn't have any premed advisors so I can't go anywhere for help like this.

Guest WesternGirl

Hi Dogeatdog,

It depends on the school. There are some schools which only take students from their state and there are some which will only take American citizens. However, many of the schools (especially private ones) take Canadian students. Some schools will consider us to be international students and some schools just consider us to be out-of-state. So, before applying, you should be sure of the requirements. Several Canadian students on this board have been accepted to US medical schools, so there is a point in you applying.

Another website for US schools is http://www.studentdoctor.net. There are several threads there on Canadians in US schools.

Guest dogeatdog12

Hi

I am a permanent resident of the united states. the only problem that I see is the financial cost of goign to the states. how could anyone afford such a tuition.

Guest WesternGirl

Hello,

If you're a permenant resident of the US, then you shouldn't have much much problem in terms of residency requirements. And financially, I think (not sure) you would be eligible for government loans, which would help. Also, if you are a resident of a particular state, then tuition at your state school(s) is usually quite affordable. I don't know too much about the financing of US med schools.

Archived