Premed 101 Forums

Secondaries

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Cheers for that, although it means this weekend is going to be a bit like yours, thesaug--supplementary-filled! (I was joking re: the basketball quip--didn't Michael Jordan attend UNC-Chapel Hill? ;) )

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest thesaug

Hi Kirsteen,

So finished Duke, but I am having problems submitting the application. Since their online payment system is not setup yet, they say that you have to pay by check. After I say "ok", then I go to a screen where it says to click on this link to print a form, and mail the check with the form. This link does not work...did you encounter the same problems???

thesaug

P.S. Hope the rest of your secondaries are coming along well!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi thesaug,

The website worked with barely a hitch when I submitted my application--once Duke got it up and running, that is. I submitted my application on the day that the webmaster was fiddling with the submission page and adding its final touches. :rolleyes A day later though, the page and the buttons were operational. The only bit that I found odd was that there did not seem to be any definite confirmation that the application had been submitted. It sort of leaves you hanging. In any case, I hope it works out for you shortly. If not by Tuesday, then give the Duke Admissions Office a shout. They've been super friendly on the couple of occasions that I gave them a shout.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest McCarey007

Hello,

I was just wondering what you guys thought about secondaries where they ask for the names and information about your relatives that have studied at their med schools/residencies (ie. NY Medical and Tulane...) Nobody in my immediate or distant family is in medicine. And being Canadian, will I just be throwing money away by applying? I just don't know how much weight they put on this whole family thing.

Thanks much!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Many, many US schools seem to ask for this information. It seemed odd the first time I read the request for it as it nudged at a certain kind of collegiate nepotism. :rolleyes As to the weight of such information, if it does count for any part of the selection process, its weight probably varies from school to school. Actually, as a bit of a side-note, an MBA colleague of mine had a friend who applied to Harvard School of Business, who was also on oddly close terms with the US president at that time--George HW Bush (Dubya Sr.). For his Harvard application, he included a personal, signed letter of reference from George HW. He didn't get in. (Incidentally, George HW attended Yale.) :)

Cheers and good luck with your applications,

Kirsteen

Guest thesaug

Hi!

Regarding the immediate family business, I was talking to some friends of mine in the States, and they told me that only if you have a legacy at the school (your father, his father...so on), then it might make a difference, otherwise, its more of a statistical thing...but thats what i have heard. In either case, do not worry about those things..what matters is your credentials, your experiences and your motivation to be a physician...cuz really, that is what will get you into medschool...so go ahead and apply!

Good luck!

thesaug

Guest McCarey007

Whew...you guys know everything! 8o

When I first saw the immediate family section, which usually took up a page or two, I was actually reconsidering whether I want to apply to a school that selects students like that.

Even if I did have a family member who attended their school , I want to get in on my own terms...not by riding on the backs of someone else.

Guest McCarey007

Hey, I'm just curious to see which schools have the longest, the most essays to write. For me so far, it's is U. of Connecticut. I really liked theirs because it gave you free range to write as long as it was under 3 pages. Any other similar ones out there?

John Hopkins was longer than average but very doable in a night or two.

Mccarey

Guest jeffbeene

Hi,

Just out of curiousity, is the U Conn 2ndary app just a single open ended essay? I'm thinking about applying there but I fear I'm submitting too late :(

Thanks,

JB

Hi jeffbeene,

UConn's secondary app asks you to address six questions, which range from your motivation to be a physician, to research to your extra curricular activies. You can devote as much space as you want to each quesiton (one page to question 1, 1 paragraph to question 2) or give each question an equal discussion. You are limited to 3 pages for the entire application, but I am pretty sure you have to answer each question. It is not a three page essay, but you can verify this with the admissions committee. With my application, I answered each question, giving about half a page to each one.

Hope this helps you out!

thesaug

Guest jeffbeene

thesaug,

Thanks for the info! My main concern right now is that I've covered most of the 2ndary question already in my primary application. Did you find that you were repeating some information?

Thanks, and congrats on your interview!

JB

Hi jeffbeene,

Thank you!

Yeah, I did repeat, but the secondary gave me a chance to expand on areas which I had to really summarize in the AMCAS app. You will find that in the secondaries you get, u will be repeating many things...such as your research and your extra curric. Just try to expand a little bit more.

Hope this helps you out, and good luck with the application!

thesaug

Guest Climbing

Hi there,

Has anyone had difficulty printing of the PDF file of the application. Everytime I try, it says the site is unavailable or busy. Any suggestions?

cheers

climbing

Guest Kirsteen

Hi Climbing,

I have not had any of these printing problems, but perhaps, to remedy yours, try printing your completed application during times of the day where the AMCAS traffic may not be so high.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived