Premed 101 Forums

Interview questions: Canadian vs American students

Guest McCarey007

Guest McCarey007

I was just wondering for those who had interviews in the US, should we expect different questions as compared to American students? I suspect popular and obvious questions would be: Why study in the US? What is your understanding of the American healthcare system? How is it different from the one in Canada?

Am I far off?

Thanks

No, you pretty much hit it on the nail. I got asked those questions everywhere I interviewed two years ago. But in general, American interviews are A LOT more relaxing, friendly, get to know you type of interviews. Just be yourself and you'll be fine. I only had one stress interview, and even that was apparently an anomoly, according to my student host. At my current school (Northwestern) we had a 3 on 3 interview, with three prospectives and two faculty and one student all in one room. We'd take turns speaking and it was nice to have a break and not have all the attention directed at you. Also, we had to work as a team on some scenario they came up with but I didn't feel as if I was competing at all.

Canadian interviews are a lot more stressful. UBC for example tries to break you down. I dunno about Ontario schools cuz I didn't apply to them.

Hello,

I found the U of Ottawa interview and format to be less stressful than others I have heard about and personally found in the states. Because of the high GPA threshold for interview they didn't focus on your academic (why you got a C in the this class), they also didn't ask you about the other schools you had applied too (If you have seen the movie Saving Forester you know what a "soup question" is.), and they didn't ask me what my weaknesses are. In exchange, I got lots of ethical questions. That being said you could let the perceived stress get to you for the Ottawa interview because it is the sole determinant (at that stage in the process) of acceptance.

g22g

Archived