Premed 101 Forums

Application - How far back?

Guest Elaine I

Guest Elaine I

How far back should we go with our employment and extra-curricular activities? The OMSAS application specifies to age 16, but I cannot find any specific age on the U of C application.

Thanks for your help.

Elaine

I think the most important thing is to make good use of the little space they give you. Start from the most recent employment and EC's and go back until the application is full. Try to be concise but descriptive and informative all at the same time. If you have room for things you did when you were young then include them. Personally, I started my first formal job at 13 and have worked 8 different jobs since and I included them all. It's better to add more activities then less.

Ciao

Guest sn0w0wl

I agree with luch re: wise use of space. Whether you include activities during high school depends in part on how many years ago high school is for you (seems like ages for some of us). I put all of my jobs in the employment section, but I personally felt that adding awards or activities from high school might give the impression that I'm trying too hard to fill up space. Unless, however, you have been doing an activity (eg. sport or volunteering) since a young age, which would show dedication. Depending on the nature of the application, you may find that you make a stronger impression by describing recent activities more fully (responsibilities, hours, etc) than by going for a long list. Never hurts to ask a friend how your draft application makes you look on paper, either.

sn0

Guest skiboot

Here's another question: regarding ECs. I was super involved when I did my first degree (completed in 96) and less so between when I started working and coming back to school. Over the past year I was volunteering in a hospital once a week, but that's about it. Most everything else I did more recently over the last few years doesn't seem as tangible / & it was more for myself ie) training for a marathon, competing in a 5 day expedition race, being part of a choir/recreational sports club, travel to SE asia, but not really having any defined leadership role (eg, executive position, committee member etc) per se.

How much do you think the recess between being super involved back then and now will hinder the EC part of the application? And should I even include these sorts of things?

Archived