Premed 101 Forums

When to look for housing

Guest sn0w0wl

Guest sn0w0wl

Can anyone living in Calgary right now suggest a good time to look for Aug.1 housing?

It would be nice to beat the Sept. rush... I'm going to have to drive out from S'toon one weekend to look around, and I was thinking of going late June. I also have to consider that it may be harder for me to find a place that will accept my cats. Any thoughts?

Incidentally, do a lot of places in Calgary require a lease? They are pretty rare in Saskatoon, but more common on the coast...

Thanks,

sn0

Guest marbledust

For my own experience of moving too many times to count in the past 10 years, many apartment buildings will want you to sign a lease. Some will give you the option of a lease or renting month-to-month, but you risk rent increases without a lease.

As for when you should start looking, I would recommend trying to find something starting in July to rent for August 1. Others will tell you different, that you will have no trouble finding a place in August. It's up to you, but I personally wouldn't risk waiting until the rush of post-secondary students looking for places in August. You may end up with something less desirable or downright miserable. There are reasons why some places near the hospital/university fill up sooner than others :)

Of course you will probably have less trouble finding a place to rent later if you are loooking at areas beyond the hospital vicinity. Of which there are many nice and cheaper neighbourhoods within reasonable distance.

Archived