Premed 101 Forums

The Waitlisted Thread

Guest Jazz

Guest Jazz

Got my waitlist letter today, I am an OOP from BC. Let this be a thread for all waitlisters as we agonize over our fates in the coming months :) .

I also wouldn't mind if this thread doubles as a thread for listing the disadvantages for UC..I absolutely love the school, but there gotta be something wrong with it so all of you lucky enough to get multiple acceptances turn it down :P .

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I don't mean to interfere in the thread, but I was wondering: do UofC provide you with your waitlist rank number at all? (I doubt it, but I've never heard otherwise.)

(Congratulations on receiving a spot on the waitlist. With the numbers of folks who applied to Calgary this year, that's a feat in itself. :) )

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Jazz

Hi Kirsteen,

Nope, no waitlist rank and the letter told us not to ask. 45 people are on the waitlist, so I guess only a very small number of OOP are rejected outright.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again,

About 70 out-of-province folks were interviewed this year, correct? Consequently, around 10 would have been rejected outright since 15 received first-round acceptances and 45 were placed on the waitlist. Hmmmm, for the bother, I wonder why they wouldn't just place all 55 folks on the waitlist. :rolleyes

Do you have any other schools in the pipe, for example, are you awaiting word from UBC?

Cheers, and best of luck to you,

Kirsteen

Guest Jerika81

I think in the past Calgary has put all OOPs on the waitlist but last year the OOP waitlist didn't move very much, so this year they handed out about 10-20 OOP rejections so that nobody gets their hopes up for no reason.

Guest klukyboy

Like I mentioned earlier, at least one person will be bumped up off the waitlist as soon as my info comes in. Here's hoping all.

Guest frogcanada

So how many in province people were interviewed and how many of those were admitted/put on waitlist/rejected? I'm confused... so there were about 120 interviewed for 85 spots - does that math make sense?

FC:\

I STILL haven't received my letter yet in Ontario - it's driving me NUTS waiting (but of course I'm too chicken to just call/email the office....):|

Guest frogcanada

Oops I just looked back at an old thread and see that 190-200 IP were interviewed. So that makes more sense... still have no idea how many waitlisted (85?) and how many rejected...

Guest aimshigh

Hi Frogcanada,

I spoke with the office on Friday and found out that they placed approx. 70 ppl on the IP waitlist. Apparently the IP waitlist moves a bit more than the OOP list, but not enough to put everyone interviewed on it. Bummer.

Here's to hoping that you'll be joining us folks in limbo-land soon!:)

aimshigh

Guest Jazzey

Hi everyone,

I'm an OOP student and was placed on the waitlist.

Good luck to everyone!! Here's to a painless waiting period!!

Guest Tousie

I'm not a UofC applicant, but I was reading this thread and my heart goes out to you. :) If it's any consolation, I have two friends, both MDs at the moment, who struggled through admissions. One applied 4 times before being accepted to U of S (UBC was his other choice). The other applied 3 times, and had 9 interviews over that time, but in his last year received 4 offers... I know I am very biased but I thought they were both great applicants (and they have made great MDs) but I think the key phrase is: try, try and try again!

Good luck, and don't give up! ;)

Tousie

Guest Jazzey

Hi Tousie,

Although your message was directed at FrogCanada, I think many people will appreciate it.

Just to add to your point, I heard that at the U of Alberta med school, the average applicant had applied 4 times before getting accepted.

Hopefully perseverence will pay off for us all!

Guest Tousie

Hi all!

I really should have added on my post that my note was in fact directed at all of us that are struggling with either butterflies or heartbreak! :) (I am stalking my mailman as well at the moment as I await news from UBC and Mac) It just happened that FC was kind enough to share his struggles with us!

Jazzey, that is insane! An average of 4 times! yikes!:eek

Tousie

Guest frogcanada

Thanks Tousie

I'm aware that I'm far from being alone in all this... I guess I figured this was my last stab before I had to have kids... (getting married in the summer). I'd kick myself if I put off having kids to pursue medicine for a ridiculous number of years, then after all that it was too late to be able to have them. My fiance is sooo patient with all this, and the only thing he's said is that he doesn't want to wait too many more years!

And can you believe I still don't have my letter from U of C yet? Sheesh!!! At this point, I just want an answer either way! It has to come today... maybe mine is later because I'm at the end of the alphabet??

I know it's extremely competitive - just looking at the caliber of people on this board I can tell that! My frustration is that I would be good enough to interview, then have a great interview and then not be good enough to even make it to the waitlist - why bother interviewing me??

Anyway, it's not like I don't know how to deal with this from experience - good luck everyone! : )

FC;)

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

My frustration is that I would be good enough to interview, then have a great interview and then not be good enough to even make it to the waitlist - why bother interviewing me??
Basically, anyone who makes it to a medical school interview has been deemed by most schools (including Calgary) to be a fitting candidate for a spot in their medical school class. As such, since all of the folks in the interview pool are back to a relative baseline of equality, medical school interviews can often count for a lot. The trouble is, the amount of agreement as to how the interview went, between you and your interviewers, often doesn't seem to be related! Subsequently, it can be really tough to predict an interview's outcome based on how you've felt you've fared in the interview.

We've seen over and over again how folks haven't felt so confident about their interviews and have snagged a first-round acceptance, and likewise, people like yourself who have felt great about their interview and haven't received an ideal response (yet :) ). To wit: I had my UBC interview the weekend prior to my Calgary interview. I felt that the UBC interview went fabulously (how that positive feeling correlates to the result may be seen later this week); however, relative to the UBC interview, my Calgary interview, I felt, was a bit prickly. A good number of pretty tough questions and a good bit of time spent on a seat that felt fairly hot. I didn't feel as confident about the UofC interview as the UBC interview at all, yet UofC somehow worked out.

The fact that you made it to the interview is a great sign. It means that UofC has deemed you very worthy to be there. However, from both of our experiences, personal perceptions of how the interview went and the interviewers' perception obviously don't always match, so try not to be too hard on yourself about it. Hopefully some good news shall appear soon. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest frogcanada

Hi Kirsteen

Yes In past years I think that probably was the case, i.e. differing opinions of the interview. However this year I definitely do not believe that, partly because the interviewers both told me I was their best interview (which they are explicitly told NOT to do by Admissions)...

I think it comes down to crunching numbers on a whole bunch of applicants, and marks/MCAT being easier to draw a line in than personal qualities. I just don't really think that the assessment after the interview is much different from the assessment before. I knew it was that way several years ago, but I thought it had changed in recent years. A current U of C student that participated in the interviewing of incoming applicants told me that they feel that the interview is basically a flag for people that are great on paper, but not in person, and that the reverse isn't generally true.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there frogcanada,

That's terrible that your interviewers mentioned that to you and essentially set you up for some disappointment. Then again, I'm not sure how many interviewing teams there are, but perhaps there were others who received interview scores that were higher than that which your interviewing team gave you? (After all, they said that you were their best interview, but that may not necessarily mean that they gave you top marks. :rolleyes ) Also, were you the very last person that they interviewed? As far as I know many schools as their interviewers to rank their interviewees or mark them relative to one another, so it could be possible that they had a few more candidates whom they found impressive. On the other hand if they meant what they insinuated then you'd think that they would give you a great mark. Very odd.

As to the UofC admissions process, I was told by the Admissions Office that the interview mark and essay marks are weighted much more heavily than all of the pre-interview assessment components. How did you feel about your essay?

Best of luck in the approaching weeks, :)

Kirsteen

Guest frogcanada

Hmm good question re: the essay. I actually felt quite good about it, but I have much less insight as to the impression on the other end. You never know - any of the scenarios you brought up could have been true.

Well I might as well stop worrying about it as I haven't even found out whether I"m waitlisted or not!

FC

Guest coleflower

Hi

I got my letter today in northern Ontario. For those OOP still waiting, be glad to hear that one of the dreaded NO letters is out of the pile.

I guess I should be happy to have gotten an interview, and learn from this. I am still waiting on Ottawa, Toronto and Queen's so maybe they will be more encouraging.

Good luck to all

Guest rudirudi

Hi everyone, I thought I'd join in to keep ya'll informed and be informed myself too. I'm OOP and I got a waitlisted letter today...Calgary is my first choice...I'll keep y'all posted...btw, how heavily weighted is that essay?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

btw, how heavily weighted is that essay?
I wasn't told exactly how much weight is placed on the essay, but I was told that both, the interview and the essay, have more weight in the final stage of the selection process than any of the six, pre-interview components.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest frogcanada

I got my waitlist letter today in Toronto. I love the "don't even try to ask us your ranking" phrase in the letter.

OK here goes another few month waiting period... we should all be good at it by now!

Those of you that got an acceptance, you don't REALLY want to go to U of C do you?? ;) kidding...

Good luck everyone waiting!

Frogcanada :P

Archived