Premed 101 Forums

switching residencies

Guest pumpmache

Guest pumpmache

I was just wondering how easy it to switch residency programs in first year. Does anybody have any numbers? I am in Toronto so any TO numbers would be helpful. thanks

From what we were told at our career night, it is *possible* to switch between disciplines but not *easy*. Basically it come down to funding...if you are a family med resident and you only have two years of funding it is difficult to switch into a program that is five years long....it is apparently easier to go the other way and easier still to switch between more comparable specialties....We were told to NOT count on being able to switch and to consider any career choice carefully. We shouldn't take a family residency spot (or any spot) as a back-up with the intention of being able to switch out - because it isn't always possible!

I am sure that some of the moderators that are a little closer to this have some more insight.

Guest therealcrackers

A lot of it depends on the positions that are available between the programs you're in/want to switch into. If you can find someone to make a swap at the same level of training, that would more likely be acceptable. Going from longer programs to shorter ones is easier, and from specialized to generalized programs, given the number of family medicine positions that will go unmatched every year...

Difficult, but not impossible. Hopefully not necessary in 99.99% of cases, too...

Guest Ian Wong

I wish I knew. We don't have any residents that regularly visit this website. Switching residencies is something that is so individualized because it depends on many different factors.

Probably the biggest factor which will impair you is funding. If you leave one residency position, and your funding doesn't come with you, then the residency program that accepts you will need to find funding for you (or you will need to fund yourself, perhaps by finding a return-or-service agreement).

I believe that in Ontario and Alberta, the funding given to each resident stays with the resident for as many years as their original residency would have required. So even if you leave one residency, your funding will follow you to whichever residency you end up in. In all the other provinces, the funding given to each resident will STAY with the original residency program, so if you leave that program, you need to find funding to bring to the accepting program.

Theoretically, this means that it should be easier to transfer between programs if you are in either an Alberta or Ontario residency.

Something that you will need to do is to discuss your intentions with your program director. That person is the individual best-placed to advise you on how to proceed, because you will almost certainly need the approval of your program director and the program director of the program you wish to enter.

Ian

UBC, Med 4

Guest marbledust

I am not a resident (a med school hopeful), but my partner is and he switched from one 5 year program into another after his first year. Ian is correct that in Alberta the funding stays with the resident for the duration of their program, so it is easier than it might be in other provinces. It was definately a long and difficult process, but the University of Calgary does have procedures that allow switching if there is a sincere desire on the part of the resident to change programs. But it is not easy and definately not encouraged. I know one other resident who also switched after his PGY1 year. It can be done...but it takes a lot of effort and bargining.

Unfortunately, my partner experienced harrassment and intimidation from some involved in his original progam when he made started the process to switch 7 months into his PGY 1 year. It was absolutely terrible. The other resident also experienced this, although to a significantly lesser degree. So all I can say from our experience is think long and hard before ranking any potential program you might match to. If you end up in the wrong program it can be an absolute nightmare. Especially if you can't switch out...

• 2 years later...

Archived