Premed 101 Forums

Advice on time away

Guest windymountain2003

Guest windymountain2003

Hi,

I've just had a unique 1 year job offer to tutor in a royal family. One of the members is a harvard med school grad and the immediate family travels around the world to promote intercultural understanding. The problem is, I am in my last 9 months of med school and I don't know what to do! They want me to fly out on Monday! I have been in a quandary for the last two days. Should I take a leave of absence or should I give up this once in a lifetime opportunity? If I do, will I remember anything when I get back- I already feel like I hardly know anything as a clerk. Also, the job offer came up quite suddenly and unexpectedly, and I have not had a chance to talk to anyone at the med school about it before I am supposed to leave. The family is ready to book my flight and do my Visa tomorrow. One other question...what happens about tuition and student loans if you take a 1 year leave of absence?

Any advice would be very appreciated...asap!

Thanks,

WM

Guest Kels2004

Hey windymountain,

That sounds like an amazing experience!!! I don't have much to help except I asked my LOC provider (Nat Bank) what would happen if I took 1 year off to have a baby during med school, and they seemed to think the 1 year was fine, as it would be the "1 year before starting to pay back the LOC" but then at the end of that year, it would be back to not paying it back because i would be back at school as a student. Hope that helps!

kels

Guest satsumargirl

Your LOCs typically give you 12 months before having to pay back any of the principal.

For OSAP (dont`know about other student loans), you will come into repayment 6 months after whenever your last study period ended.

Archived