Premed 101 Forums

UT vs Western

Guest megustaeso

Guest aneliz

Well... four years ago I did pick Western. I have been happy with my decision and would not pick differently if I had to do it again.

My reasons were as follows:

1. Liked the feel of the city of London better than downtown Toronto (being a smaller city kind of person)

2. Tuition was cheaper at UWO and was frozen at that point at Western while there was no such guarantee at Toronto

3. Liked UWO's curriculum better in teh first two years... system based rather than course based

4. Smaller class size... felt that the atmosphere was friendlier and more cohesive and social than UT from my interview experiences.

5. Clerkship and electives - liked that UWO did all of their core rotations in third year and completed all of their electives prior to Carms... UT was still doing core rotations AFTER the match was over.

Guest Lurkergonepublic

And then there's the fact that Toronto had it's first smog alert of the year yesterday and it's not even summer yet - or is London affected as much by that too? Just going by the national news - they don't always assume us westerners might not know all the geographical weather pattern details out east.

:P

Guest aneliz

Smog is a universal problem in Southern Ontario... yesterday's smog extended from Windsor to Montreal, and also included Ottawa and North Bay.

Guest UWOMED2005

Gotta love the clean mountain air that chinooks over Calgary. . .

. . . dumping our traffic pollution on Saskatchewan.

Guest studentz

Did it last year, chose Toronto

1) Virtually everything in medicine is done here. You can be exposed to anything.

2) Much more varied delivery of curriculum. Realistically, the curriculum is system-based after anatomy and the teaching/learning methods are much more varied than at UWO.

3) Better summer options; I could take my summer research scholarship anywhere in the world.

4) The city and it's diversity, which of course gives a diversity of patients that can't be matched anywhere

5) Practice environments...from inner-city St. Mikes to Sunnybrook to Scarborough to the rural options and of course Sick Kids.

6) I didn't meet a single UofT student that felt the need to talk poorly about another school in order to promote Toronto. This was not the case at any of my other interviews and it was refreshing.

Lots more! But both programs are fantastic and it took me a LONG time to decide between the two, which were far and away my favourites.

Archived