Premed 101 Forums

Time for team sports in med school . . .

Guest silverjelly86

Guest silverjelly86

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but since being accepted into med school, do any of you play/have time for competitive team sports? If so, is it a struggle to make games and practices, or are most of your sports outdoor and thus don't really disrupt your studies? Thanks in advance!

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

Define competitive team sports and at what level. Are you talking at the varsity level? Please elaborate.

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

I think that you'll find in medical school, aside from what anyone might say or think, you'll have more than enough time to pursue pretty much anything that you want to. There is certainly enough time to participate in intramurals, if that's what you're interested in, just as there will be enough time to participate in community sports leagues. There are only a few things that you may won't have time for (ie: playing for a major league baseball team and doing medical school, but I'm sure that you could find a way to make it work!), so I really wouldn't worry all that much! If you want something to work out for you in medical school, you'll make the time for it!

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest Jag

Here at U of M we have class sports reps that organize intramural team sports throughout the year. This includes basketball, soccer, ultimate, etc. We usually play against other years and other faculties all year with tournaments and championships. There is PLENTY of free time in the first two years. Especially in the first year, I've had more free time in the first year of medical school than any one year of my B.Sc. You can tell by how much time i spend on the forums and how fast i respond as to how much free time i have.

Guest Talon01

Ya dude/dudetee,

There's loads of time to do your own thing (ie sports) during med school. Although I think varsity sports might cause conflicts with some of the mandatory portions of the curriculum such as PBL, seminars, etc.

I believe most schools end up entering 'Med' team into intramural leagues as well.

Archived