Premed 101 Forums

LASIK for Med Students

Guest patentforamenovale

Guest patentforamenovale

Hi, I know there was an old thread regarding this topic, but I cant seem to find it...so what does everyone think about this? Are there any studies to show long term sequelae of undergoing LASIK? Any personal stories for or against? Im considering getting it done this summer, and I want to know if its a good idea, from someone other than a salesperson...

PFO

UT Meds1

Guest peachy

Fwiw, PFO, at the end of B&B there is a week on vision, and there are a few labs that involve going from room to room for twenty minutes or so, with a different ophthalmologist teaching in each room. When I did it, there were a couple of people who kept asking them what they thought of laser eye surgery, and their answer seemed to be pretty uniformly: I wouldn't take the risk on cosmetic surgery when my entire livelihood depends on my good vision...

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

Yeah, I really wanted my vision corrected with the laser, but much to my dismay, I was found not to be a good candidate for it. Rather than risk my livelihood for something cosmetic, I decided to just suck it up and accept my sucky vision. Oh well, it could be a lot worse, I guess!

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest muchdutch

But what if you are a good candidate for it? What if your opthalmologist (sp?) told you that in fact you were a perfect candidate for it based on your vision? This isn't me (lord knows I'm the farthest thing from being a perfect candidtate) but my other has been told this and has been thinking of getting it done this summer. He's done all his research as to what's available, technology, the specific doctor, etc. and he seems pretty confident. Also, I know three people directly who had it done and say they would never go back. Bearing in mind that my other is not in med school yet, but is on the long road to applying, any thoughts? Suggestions?

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

I don't mean to be rude, but it seems like this is a question best left up to your other- seeking concensus from an internet board full of strangers isn't exactly the best way to make such a decision, especially since you say that he's done all of his research. It is definitely a personal choice and not one without its inherent risks. He needs to weigh the pros and cons and go from there. I don't think that there is anything really groundbreaking that you are going to learn by polling people on this site. Maybe there is, but I doubt it.

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest muchdutch

Oh for sure, I agree. But it is just nice to hear other people's opinions other than my own and his! I know that he will still do whatever he chooses not based on the opinions of others but what he thinks is good for him, but we don't know anyone in med or en route to med who has had this done, so we'd like to know their opinion from their stance. We do know a few people who've had it done and love it, but they're not really in a line of work where their eyes are soooo crucial (although I think that's debatable because I think eyesight is crucial in many jobs).

I think it's just nice to hear everybody's opinion and especially other peoples' experience so you can weigh all of that into your decision.

Guest cracked30

I know of two people who are disabled from this surgery.

Both have chronic dry eyes. One is a surgeon and is unable to operate for more than an hour.

A pubmed search shows no long term follow-up, and that worries me. Is there no follow-up because no one is collecting data? It has been around fifteen years, I'd like to see some fifteen year data before undertaking an expensive procedure.

Besides, I know a few optho residents who are conspicuously still wearing glasses. Why didn't they get it done?

Guest needforspeed

i had it done (zyoptix) last summer....i was hesitant about it too....and the surgeon said he wouldn't recommend it for me if i was interested in micro-surgery (which i am not) just in case...because in some cases you can't correct your vision even with glasses after the surgery---BUT....

I've had no side effects and i'm really happy i had it done (-7.5 diopters)-eesh

i get dry eyes once in a while....but nothing compared to the feeling of wearing contacts for 12+hours

its a whole new world being able to see clearly day after day...(especially being able to see the alarm clock in the morning!)

Somebody in my med1 class had lasik done just before they got in and another person just had it done a couple of weeks ago over spring break. Both are doing fantastic and think it is the greatest thing ever (the one who had it done on spring break has 20/15 vision now)

You might want to consider getting PRK surgery instead of LASIK. It's been gaining popularity again over the last few years and is a real alternative for people with thin corneas. It also has reduced risks because no flap is created in the procedure. However, the recovery is long and more painful compared to LASIK. Also, if you currently experience dry eye you may want to reconsider getting refractive surgery because the problem will only be made worse by the surgery.

Guest mackenziemarshall

cracked30: what do you mean by disabled? is the dry eye really that bad, or is there something else wrong?

I was hoping to get my eyes corrected this summer, but now after reading the posts, I'm a bit weary, especially since I'm interested in surgery, possibly vascular. I must admit I'm not that informed of the dangers, other than risks of poor night vision & dry eyes. Are there any dangers/risks of serious vision loss or surgical complications? Any info would be appreciated!

-MM

Guest physiology

The risks may be small, but until the ophthalmologists themselves start getting the procedure done on themselves, I'm not letting anything near my eyes.

Guest needforspeed

i dunno....I figured no matter how 'gas permeable' these new contacts are (not to mention the latest fungal infection scare) either way...your eyes have the possibility of being screwed. With my really bad eyesight ~-7.5 even those high index glasses were a pain in the ass to wear. I figured as a student/resident/doc the long hours of studying/working would take a toll on my eyes wearing contacts....thats why i had the procedure done.

www.visionmed.ca/index.cf...arisonPage

I had the 'custom scan' one i guess where they take an individual scan of your cornea- because it had a lower night risk of night time glare (my biggest concern at the time)

ya...if i only had -1.00 or -1.5 vision i probably would not have had it done....but with my @#%$ eyesight...this surgery was one of the better choices i've made with my money=(

Archived