Premed 101 Forums

Bulgarian Medical School?

Guest Jag

Recently I have heard of a lot of people that didn't get in to a Canadian Medical school, and are now flying out to Bulgaria for medical school. I have always heard of Ireland as the medical school that people from Canada to go to, but not Bulgaria. Does anybody know anything about this phenomena? Are there any disadvantages for a Canadian going to Bulgaria for medical school (specifically, being able to come back to canada for residency)?

Guest Jochi1543

What about the language barrier? Seems like a weird place to choose. I can't imagine them teaching in English.

Medical schools in Russia are straight after high school, I would imagine in Bulgaria as a former part of the Bloc it would be the same.

apparantly they are saying that they teach in english, and on top of that they let you do your rotations in 3rd and 4th year in north america too... at least according to the people flying out there

Guest leviathan

That's pretty shady...If you're going to go foreign, stick with either US, Caribbean, or other commonwealth schools (eg. Ireland, UK, Australia).

I know this Russian girl who claimed she did 2 years of med school back in Russia, and she knew nothing. It was scary.

Guest montana83

Apparently there's a med school in dublin, ireland which allows u to practice in canada after completing their 6 year program without having to write any tests, does anybody know if this is true and what school this is?? thanks

I just e-mailed carms and they said that if you hold an M.D. degree from any school outside of North America no matter what it is, you are considered an international student. For Canada, you would be forced to apply in the second round of matching after Canadian trained doctors, so essentially you would be left with little more than family practice, or even nothing at all.

as an international applicant to ireland (unless you are coming straight out of high school) you will be in the FIVE year program. if you want more information look up atlantic bridge program on google and there is information there on ucc- univ college cork, ucd- univ college dublin, trinity and royal college of surgeons dublin.

• 5 months later...
Guest heavyrain

leviathan,

I don't know much about Bulgarian medical schools, so I'won't comment on that. However, your comment about some russian girl "who knew nothing" seems to force a false generalization about russian med eduction. I did not go to school there but I've worked with extremely intellegent russian people who were very passionate about medicine. I was greatly inspired by those doctors.

Like it was mentioned before, in Russia and many European countries you can go to med school right after high school. The first two years cover a lot of theory and there is very little clinical exposure. Based on that, I'm not sure what you expected for the girl to know.

In addition to that, in any med school in any country there are great students and there are bad students. The level of knowledge of an individual really depends only on that individual's efforts and ambition!

Guest leviathan

Hi heavyrain,

We were involved in a PBL group and she didn't even know physiology to a high school biology level. I'm not saying she reflected the quality of education of the Russian system, but I am saying that she didn't give me a good impression of it. In general, I'm saying that if you had to choose X school that is known to give a decent education over Y school that you knew nothing about except for one bad experience, the wise decision would be to go with X school. An even better decision would be to do more research into that school, because it still could be better than the former if you looked into it.

• 6 years later...

Old topic but if anyone is still interested.So in Bulgaria we go from high school straight to med university.We take two exams in chemistry and biology(most people study for them for like 2 year-in high school we don't study the material for the exams,most people take tutors)The evaluaton of the exams is rough so only the best get in.But for FOREIGNERS there is NO entry exams.They only have to pay bigger tuition(like 9000 leva-for people outside the EU)The med universities here have all courses taught in english for foreigners so language won't be an issue.First 2 years we study biology,chemistry,physics,biochemisty,biophysics,anatomy,physiology,microbiology,latin,citology.Boring boring most of it.Then in 3d year it is more fun.If anyone is interested in studying here it will definetly be a great experience and you will most likely graduate easier than in canada.

Old topic but if anyone is still interested.So in Bulgaria we go from high school straight to med university.We take two exams in chemistry and biology(most people study for them for like 2 year-in high school we don't study the material for the exams,most people take tutors)The evaluaton of the exams is rough so only the best get in.But for FOREIGNERS there is NO entry exams.They only have to pay bigger tuition(like 9000 leva-for people outside the EU)The med universities here have all courses taught in english for foreigners so language won't be an issue.First 2 years we study biology,chemistry,physics,biochemisty,biophysics,anatomy,physiology,microbiology,latin,citology.Boring boring most of it.Then in 3d year it is more fun.If anyone is interested in studying here it will definetly be a great experience and you will most likely graduate easier than in canada.

And you will most likely end up with no residency and a huge dept.

Archived