Premed 101 Forums

Internship year before residency?

Guest windymountain2003

Guest ploughboy

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Hash: SHA1

Hey Kirsteen,

Which school's Sx residency allows you to certify as a FP in addition to being a surgeon?

Cheers,

pb

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (FreeBSD)

iD8DBQFDQcFZ/HNgbK3bC2wRAiPIAJ9Tx5wCxvKocuQKT5kbzjmnTNZd2QCeMpGK

Nmj0pBAEqZ1dbsKrM0qbL3Q=

=BBzx

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Guest marbledust
Which school's Sx residency allows you to certify as a FP in addition to being a surgeon?

I don't think any of them do. I don't want to speak for Kirsteen, but I think she may have been referring to a possible ramification of a common internship year. :)

I know in Alberta you can work as a "resident extender" after completing one year in *most* residency programs. Being completely unfamiliar with BC's system, I don't know if it is a similar idea. These residents can't practice as GPs per say, but in effect that is what some do--in a restricted sense. That didn't come out right...but you get my drift :P

However, I read somewhere (no clue where) that it is possible to get a general medical license in BC after one year of residency training, allowing some practicing priveldges--is this similar to the resident extender program in Alberta?

I was very confused when I read this article, because I wasn't sure if the "general medical license" was referring to part 1 of the LMCC or something unique to BC. Can anybody from BC enlighten me? Thanks in advance :)

Guest desiguy8179

Full Register (Independent Practice) Dr. E. J. Phillips, Deputy Registrar requirements in BC

/www.cpsbc.ca/cps/physici...llregister

Pursuant to the Rules Made Under the Medical Practitioners Act (regarding registration requirements):

73. An applicant for any class of registration shall satisfy the registrar as to the applicant's good character and good professional conduct in such manner as the registrar sees fit and shall comply with the following conditions:

a. applicants who have previously practiced outside of the province must provide written proof of their good standing and conduct from the licensing body or bodies where they practiced;

b. applicants must be Canadian Citizens or satisfy the registrar that they are legally entitled to live and work in Canada;

c. applicants must be able to speak, read and write English to the satisfaction of the registrar;

d. applicants shall provide documentary proof satisfactory to the registrar that they meet all requirements of their registration;

e. applicants shall pay appropriate registration, annual or other fees relative to their application.

74. Applicants for full registration must:

a. be graduates in medicine from a university or medical school approved by council;

b. be Licentiates of the Medical Council of Canada;

c. meet all the conditions of one of the categories of applicants specified in rule 75 regarding postgraduate training; and

d. satisfy the registrar that they are permanent residents of British Columbia or that their taking up permanent residence in British Columbia is imminent.

75. Applicants for full registration shall meet the requirements of one of the following categories regarding postgraduate training:

OPTION (1)

MEDICAL DEGREE + L.M.C.C. + R.C.P.S.C. CERTIFICATION

OPTION (2)

MEDICAL DEGREE + L.M.C.C. + C.F.P.C. CERTIFICATION

OPTION (3)

MEDICAL DEGREE + L.M.C.C. + one of:

a. satisfactory completion of 2 years of accredited and approved postgraduate training with a basic core of 44 weeks consisting of 8 weeks in each of Medicine, Surgery, Obstetrics/Gynaecology, and Paediatrics, and 4 weeks in each of Psychiatry, Emergency Medicine, and Family/General Practice. One of the two years must be in Canada, if not a Canadian graduate;

or,

b. satisfactory completion of 2 years of accredited and approved postgraduate training with a basic core of 44 weeks consisting of 8 weeks in each of Medicine, Surgery, Obstetrics/ Gynaecology, and Paediatrics, and 4 weeks in each of Psychiatry, Emergency Medicine, and Family/General Practice, and 5 years practice in British Columbia on the temporary register and a satisfactory assessment by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of B.C.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Further to the above, it was UBC who stipulated that a family medicine licence could be sought after the first 2 years of residency. Interestingly though, this information used to be posted on their CaRMS page, but doesn't seem to exist in the revised version for the 2005/6 cycle.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest strider2004
satisfactory completion of 2 years of accredited and approved postgraduate training with a basic core of 44 weeks consisting of 8 weeks in each of Medicine, Surgery, Obstetrics/ Gynaecology, and Paediatrics, and 4 weeks in each of Psychiatry, Emergency Medicine, and Family/General Practice, and 5 years practice in British Columbia on the temporary register and a satisfactory assessment by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of B.C.

That makes sense. Unfortunately there are very few programs that fill those criteria. No program except family medicine(or community medicine) has a family medicine rotation.

Guest marbledust
No program except family medicine(or community medicine) has a family medicine rotation.

I am guessing it would be possible to use elective time to do a family medicine rotation if one wanted to?

The UBC case is very interesting, but one question: you could theoretically practice family medicine in BC by fulfilling these requirements--but would it be good in any other province? I don't know if anybody here will know the answer.

Well, I talked to this anesthesia attending who graduated last year who said that after his intern year, he applied and got a license and practiced as a GP up north for a year. He said a lot of residents did this. He also said BC and one other province (forgot which) were the only places in Canada that allowed this. There was also this other resident who applied like after his third or fourth year of his anes residency and was denied because he had applied too late. Don't quote me on this, but I think the College might make exceptions for people who want to go to rural areas, at least from the evidence presented here and from what I've heard from people.

Guest marbledust
He also said BC and one other province (forgot which) were the only places in Canada that allowed this.

I *think* it may be Newfoundland, based on something I read on the carms website. But don't quote me on that. :)

Guest Ian Wong
However, I read somewhere (no clue where) that it is possible to get a general medical license in BC after one year of residency training, allowing some practicing priveldges--is this similar to the resident extender program in Alberta?
I'd posted something to this effect a few times in the past. In specialties with a "rotor" year that includes things like OB, Psych, etc (such as Anesthesiology, Ophtho, Derm), in BC, after you've completed your PGY-2 year, you can get a limited licence of sorts that allows you to work as an FP. This is true for BC, but I don't think that this licence is transferable to other provinces. I never spent much time investigating it since it didn't affect me one way or the other.

I would definitely agree with the other statements posted that if you were to jump from one specialty to another, there'd HAVE to be some level of re-training involved. Medicine is just too freakin' subspecialized these days for a clinician to be effectively up to date with the standard of care for an unrelated specialty. No way an orthopod could jump back into doing Family Med (do they even know how a stethoscope works at that point? I had one orthopod ask me what Paxil was; didn't even know that SSRI's existed...). Similarly, there's no way a FM person could do Ortho without a residency. I think the same is true for most specialties.

Ian

Guest Elaine I

With regard to the common internship year, how did the old system work? Where did students do their internship - at their med school, at the location of their residency (meaning they matched first) or elsewhere? Were there two matches, or just one?

Thanks for the information.

Elaine

Archived