Premed 101 Forums

Survey: Med school, Dental school, Grad school?

Guest try2dstress

Guest try2dstress

I noticed some people apply to more than one profession after undergrad to keep their options open. Just wanted to do an informal survey to see who's applied to more than one thing, what they applied to and what's their first choice.

I'll start. I only applied to med school, I'm in grad school now, and med school is my first choice :)

Guest anitabanita

choice1) Medschool

a)Dal

b)MUN

c)Mac

d)Queens

e)NOMS

f)UofT

choice2) Grad school

a) Dalhousie MSc/PhD in Anatomy and Neurobiology

B) Dalhouse Msc/Phd in Psychology and NeuroBiology

c) Dalhouse MSc/Phd in Psychology and Neuroscience

choice3) Dentistry

a) Dalhousie

B) UofT

choice4) Law school

a) Dal

B) University of NewBrunswick

whew - psycho planner right here...so far law school and grad school and dentistry are looking good (pretty much guaranteed) ...and medschool will soon *fingers crossed*

Guest Brucybkidcapri

Hi...

I applied to both Dental and Medical school at UBC. I recieved interviews for both and was accepted to Dental. Still waiting for med decision. Still not entirely sure which path I am leaning towards (I have been going back and forth for too long!!).

Guest try2dstress

wow anitabanita, you are a super planner...

you must have had a lot of applications to write this year!!

So is Dal your choice for any of med/dentistry/law/grad?

good luck to you and brucybkidcapri for med results!

Guest anitabanita

I cant say it was fun!

...however it made me very proud of myself. Filling out all of those "what have you done with your life" and "why do you want to do this" questions really made me look back on my life and the things I have done I actually never fully realized how much I had done!

yes- Dal is my 1st choice EVERYTHING!However I am gonna work down the system ie If I were to get into Dal Dentistry but also Mac Med, I would still take Mac med over Dal Dentistry because med trumps Dentistry (not that dentistry is bad everyone! you know what I mean!).

The HARDEST thing was meeting all the requirements! This place looks at all four years, this place looks at the best two , this place needs this psych course, this place need x credits hours of vertabrae biology, 1course of this and average no less than this..agghhh but because I got what I call my "multifaceted" degree everything went ok ( + a few summers and interssion courese! It was fun being though having the entire uni to yourself and just 100 other people!). The other HARDEST thing

writing the MCAT - DAT - LSAT - and GRE!

I loathe standardized testing with a passion!

all the best to you!

annah

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

annah

may be you should find what it is that you want to do for the rest of your life and that you are passionate about. Seems to me that you only like prestigious positions.

Even if u are capable to get into all of them, you will be miserable if you do something only for the prestige. Or you can do what I'm doing and get both an MD and DDS lol how many people do you know have that?

Standardized testing is pretty rough but it is one of the few ways that can assess your abilities compared to everyone else..studying for it sucks but if you are as good as u say you are, I'm confident that you will be fine.

I actually disagree with u on the MD trumping DDS, dentists tend to have to go to school less and get to do what they like more -- WORK than just being in school learning...

The only "trump" might be the prestige but honestly, it is not worth it. I am only getting the MD not because I want it but because the residency i got into has that as a specification.

Guest arjuna83
you can do what I'm doing and get both an MD and DDS

Wow thechosen one, how did you manage that? :eek now you only need the Phd and you've got all the doctor designations covered! But congrats on your accomplishments, that's awesome!

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

naw it's just that i love oral surg and the americans like to give u an MD with their programs so that you will stay as their @#%$ for another 2 more...

Guest Jochi1543

Arjuna, he'd have to get a J.D., too, if he were to cover all the "doctor" designations. :P :lol

I'm only applying to med. Have no interest in dental, and while I MIGHT consider graduate school at some point later, it would not be until I fail at getting into meds for like 3 years in a row - I wanna take a break anyway.

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

dr3ni i'm not sure.

A lot of oral surgery residencies in the US give you an MD. So pretty much it is like graduating dental school, then going to med school for 2 years....and practicing as a resident at the hospital etc. I think my first year is being a resident, then two years of med school and then more training. When the med students break off to do their clerkship years I will be at the hospitals. That is my understanding.

to be honest, this should be the least of your concern atm. it's a lot of hard work to take this route to an MD. I pity those premeds who choose dentistry as a back up and hope to do what i did. Because dental school is hard, they think they can get to be top 5 in the class so they can also get an MD later on when they specialize for oral surg in the US, just b/c dentistry is "supposed" to be easier than med hahhahaha..guess again.

Guest kylerh

I am currently 2nd year at U of T. My plans are...

1) Apply to med school

a)UFT

b)Mac

c)Queens

d)Western

e)Ottawa

2)Apply to a Msc degree in Psych than continue to become a psychologist(Phd in psych)

Guest Dr3ni

i orignally was thinking about applying to medicine.

1) Ottawa

2) queens

3) western

4) Uoft

but now im started to think dentistry is more for me.

but since i havent research this yet the only two schools i know about right now are toronto and western.

anyone know where i can research more on ortho surgeon?

Archived