Premed 101 Forums

where do you get the drive?

Guest toothy1985

Guest toothy1985

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me how do you get a 9.0 (york scale) or 4/4.0, I mean what if you come from an abusive family and you cannot focus, I mean lets get past the focus issue, how do you get the support? from where from who if you do not have anyone except friends and seems like no one can really support you in any emotional way, where do you get the courage to go on? How about if someone has all the characteristics necessary but are held back by family issues, what do you do then?

i m sure that people who are doctors or in medicine or any other prof. school must have families or atleast someone who love them or care for them, what do you do if you dont have anyone?

any advice?

Guest noncestvrai

It's hard, I was living on my own. I had a lot of doubters actually of my chance to get into medicine on top of that. I was still seeing my family on a regular basis and they were there for me if I needed them. I think having emotional support is important in any life project, or it helps a great deal.

In your case, you may get some help at school, counseling, psychologists and the such. I think it's important your get these things "healed", not everybody has the same level of resilience. Life is not easy, and it's not a shame to ask for help. This will be not only good for your career, but for your life as a whole as well.

Good luck.

noncestvrai

Guest ploughboy

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Hash: SHA1

Hey toothy,

First of all, you don't need a 9.0 or a 4.0 or whatever to get into medical school. In my opinion, the applicant with decent grades and neat experiences outside of school will be more successful than the 4.0 student with no life.

Now for the important stuff...I've never been in your situation, so I don't know exactly what it's like. However, I'm very familiar with lying in bed, staring at the ceiling and thinking "why the heck am I wasting my time doing this? It'll never work out..." It sucks, doesn't it?

It sounds like there's a lot of stuff going on in your life. I really think you need to talk to a real, live person about how you're feeling. I'm not saying that you're crazy, or that you need to see a shrink or anything like that. What I am saying is that face-to-face conversation is sometimes the best way to sort out all sorts of heavy emotions. If you feel that your friends don't quite understand all the issues that you're facing right now, then maybe you should talk to your priest/minister/rabbi/somebody at York's Student Services, etc.

You're not the only person to feel this way, and don't have to be alone in this.

Best of luck,

pb

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (FreeBSD)

iD8DBQFDQcBL/HNgbK3bC2wRAqsJAJ9+nco/vi59JBwtWiMDl557KpKt9gCgnfvI

jCRgfZIQ5QqmXTjPg7u70Zw=

=FQtb

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Guest toothy1985

thanks you two! Its truly amazing how this forum has so many amazing people who are so keen to help others. I genuinely appreciate what your posts. I am thinking about talking to the Counselling services at York. I think its better to get help now than regretting it later in life.

thanks a lot

Guest satsumargirl

First you don't need a 4.0 GPA to get into med school, so relax a little.

Second, there is no right time to enter med school. So take your time and find the resources to deal with any issues. My opinion is it's better to start med school in the right frame of mind since it is a pretty challenging path. So if you take a couple of years to sort things out and feel like you are on solid ground then you may be better prepared for med school.

Third, my advice for what it is worth (so take with a grain of salt) is change the things you can and let go of the things you can't. Nobody's family is perfect but some are less perfect than others. You can expend alot of energy trying to "fix" your family but chances are your energy is better spent focussing on things that are in your control, like studying, developing solid friendships and supports outside your family etc.

Archived