Premed 101 Forums

switching out of my program...worth it?!

Guest tbee01

Guest tbee01

Hi everyone,

I want your advice/input on something. Right now, I am enrolled in the Arts & Science program at McMaster and entering my third year this fall. It's my intention to apply to med school and I know having research experience (which I fail to have as of yet) may help with the selection process. What I've found though is that a lot of the professors I've approached so far seem to prefer students with a more related science program...ie. students in lifesci, biochem, pharm, etc...making it really hard for me to find a research position! My program is supposed to be one of the "best" at this university, and that might grab some of the prof's attention but so far, it doesn't seem enough. Also, if I don't make it into med school, I was thinking of trying for grad school...seeing how I like it and possibly re-applying to medicine once I finish. However, science grad degrees typically prefer students with a Honours BSC. So, for this reason, I've been contemplating about switching out...and majoring in something more specific...like biochem or bio/pharm. The thing is...i'm entering into my third year, so it may be a little late?? Or at least it may screw up my credits in that I won't be taking all third year courses in my third year (I know med schools look into this type of stuff as well).

Anyways what do you guys think? My *main* concern is that I won't be able to find a prof who will let me work in their lab and my application will suffer as a result. But is it worth going through the trouble of switching out? How do all the non-traditional med school applicants, like those who major in business, or arts, deal with the issue of research experience?

Guest blinknoodle

Hey tbee,

Have you considered combining your Arts & Science major with a science major? I know a few people who did their degrees in 4 or 5 years, with the combined program.

See registrar.mcmaster.ca/cal...ec_165.htm

Personally, unless you are not enjoying your program, or really want to sitch to learn about a different science, I wouldn't switch just because you haven't been able to find science-related research. Just be more persistent in your search. If you are looking to do something this summer, it may be a bit late, but see if you could volunteer in the research environment instead. I did the BHSc program at McMaster, which I felt it was also plagued by the fact it was not a "Science" degree. However, with a research background, I had no problems finding supervisors for grad studies nor getting funding for grad studies. It is your background, not the name of your degree that matters. Furthermore, there is nothing to say you *need* research experience for admission into medical school.

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

tbee I have heard of your arts and sciences program. When I was back in undergrad I was accepted into that program as well but I chose to go to Western because of the larger Jewish community lol.

It's a good program at McMaster, probably second to the BHSc. program that Blinknoodle was talking about, in terms of reputation. (I noticed a lot of health science students in the lower years at the faculty.) I think your science background should be the least of your concerns. As long as you met all the prerequisite requirements you should be ok.

In terms of research for medical school, well I was accepted to medical school as well, and I did minimum research (most of which were religiously related, like a research project where I went to Israel). I had a major in Biology minored in Religious studies (i took a lot of summer courses to get the minor), so probably I did not even have as many science courses as you, since I only did 3 years of undergrad before entering dental school. As long as your grades are good and you have good letters of reference, just get an interview, focus and shine, and you can just await the acceptances.

The only time research is somewhat important is when you apply for a masters or pursue a resident specialty that involves a heavy academic component. I did most of my research while I was in dental school.

Guest piratefan

tbee,

i'm also in an arts and science program (at mcgill), and definitely understand your concerns over finding research, grad school possibilites, etc. i switched into the program during second year, which means that my science background at this point is not much different from that of any other third year BSc student...

if you're really interested in research, i'd suggest focusing your coursework as much as you can next year, and making a big effort to get to know a few profs in your area of interest (visiting during office hours, putting more than your usual amount of effort into succeeding in their course, etc). you might find that putting the extra effort into connecting with your profs will give you the edge you need over BSc students competing for the same positions.

personally, i'd suggest sticking with your arts and science degree, so long as your gpa isn't suffering because of it. at this point in the game, a program switch could be harder on your gpa than you'd expect (i know that i struggled for a semester while transitioning from science to arts&sci). if you're having far more success in one area of your program (ie the gpa difference between your arts and science courses is really significant), then you may want to consider a switch, since making the gpa cut-offs will get you much further in the application process than having a very well-rounded undergraduate program.

good luck,

pf

Archived