Premed 101 Forums

Any undergraduate degree is okay?

Guest smooth operater

Guest smooth operater

I am in the process planning my curriculum for the next 2 years. I am currently in biochemistry program, but also have the option to switch to “general science” program.

If I decide to pursue “general science” undergraduate degree instead, will my degree be looked down compared to other applicants who have done more specific degrees like history, mechanical engineer, or biology?

The reason that I want to do a general science degree instad of biochem is that it's easier to acheive higher GPA since I get to pick any science courses I want.

Guest wannabein

Hey man,

Any undergraduate degree is okay. GPA is much much more important. I am a kinesiology major, I know people who have gotten in with general communication or Art degrees. Honestly bud, go for the GPA, I know in hindsight it was the best decision i have ever made when i compare myself to all my friends that stayed in biological sciences and biochemistry and had to do so many brutal and pointless courses and have worked their butts off to get a GPA nowhere near mine!

hope that helps!

Guest LestatZinnie

unless you really can't get a decent gpa in your program (>80%), i'd stick with a degree that has better job prospects just in case things don't work out. i'm sure it'll be much easier to get a job with biochem degree than just general size. i did ubc biochem degree and it's not too bad once you get over 2nd year. it's also good because quite a few dentists and interviewers also commented how hard biochem was- so you might be able to impress them somewhat. but if you're really doing poorly then take easy electives to bring up gpa. switching would be my last option.

Guest smooth operater

GPA is actually my concern atm. I havn't gotten over 80% during my 1st or 2nd year following the biochem currculum, and I did work by butt off in those two years. Maybe b/c I havn't developed good studying habit, so I end get getting 79% and 78%.

Guest Adversary

Yes, it may be better to change majors if it would improve your GPA. However, pre-requisite courses from first year still count for Dental schools so not all of what you have done so far will be overlooked too much.

In terms of a good back-up plan, if Dentistry is what you want, then Dentistry is what you should focus on getting. Why waste time working towards a back-up plan instead of focusing all your energy on your first choice. Yes, it is risky, but the end justifies all means.

Good Luck!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest IzerkUdie

ok ok.

just make sure you have the prerequisite courses done.

degree not does matter.

If you always trying have backup in life, you will end up doing your backup. Engineering give u job, but much harder than Science and hard to get high mark. Stick with something easy if dentistry is what you want to do. And don't go to U of T for undergrad. I heard much harder. I went to mcmaster and it better for me to get good mark. I got accept to U of T and other school in USA. Mark is most important in undergrad. Extracredit stuff means nothing for dental school..just focus on mark and what course is easiest to get good. It is just simple strategics.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest dontWorrybeHappyy

Well, I got a 3.86 overall GPA from Engineering Science in U of T, and I still was not admitted to U of T. I was put on the waitin list.

Archived