Premed 101 Forums

great news for u of a early admittees

Guest jwc

hey all.

WAY TO GO on early acceptances. Isn't it unreal to not be worrying anymore and enjoy the summer? I don't know about you, but i am going to need a line of credit for dentistry for sure, since student loans barely covers tuition. I checked out all the banks and most give the line of credit at prime plus 1 percent to dents.

At bank of montreal the med students get prime for some reason (dents get prime plus 0.5 normally at bmo which was still a better deal than plus 1), and that made me wonder why we don't deserve that as well. I called Ophelia at the BMO and asked her if she would cut us dental students at the u of a the same deal and she just called me and said that myself and anyone I know (ie. anyone here on the forum or elsewhere...) can get it at prime( now 4.25?? I think). The normal max amount is 30,000 each year but that can be decreased if you don't need it all or she said even increased (i wouldn't recommend buying your beamer till you at least see your first patient though). That saves about 1000 buck a year if you have used 100000 of it, which works out to lots of savings!!!!!!

Give her a call at 408-0022 and tell her you are Jordan's friend (that's me) or let me know if any of you have found a sweeter deal than this.

Let me know if this helps you all out. any questions email me at j_o_r_d@hotmail.com and I will even chat on the phone if you have questions. later. jordan

Guest Adversary

Yeah, a while back when UBC gave me acceptance, I went shopping for a new account and potential loan. RBC and Scotiabank are the best in terms of loans with RBC slightly edging Scotiabank because they don't have a limit on the amount you can borrow year to year up to a total of 150,000.

Also, RBC provides a NO-FEE chequing account with unlimited transactions and 12 money orders a year (also offered by CIBC, though no money orders from CIBC). Money orders are helpful especially for UBC dentistry students since our deposit cannot be paid through a cheque. Also, what impressed me most about RBC is that they actually employ one person to deal with dental and medicine students which is pretty cool. No other bank/credit union does that.

NOTE: I have only checked out TD, BMO, Scotia bank, Vancity, CIBC, and RBC.

PS. I use to bank at BMO so when I ask them for a counter-offer stating what RBC offered, they told me that RBC's deal is great and to go with them. Stupid idiots... :x

sounds like RBC is pretty good too. I tried to call them but hung up after being of hold for half an hour. The 30,000 a year at bmo is just the standard, you can get more if you need it (why you would need more than that i don't know) and also you get free atm banking etc... I already bank at bmo so it wouldn't be too handy to have accounts at too many places and having access to all 150000 at once would make me feel too rich and i would blow it probably sooner than i should . My mortgage is at bmo so i think i'll stick with them. Its just nice that we can qualify so easily and i didn't even need a cosigner. If anyone is interested the offer is still on the table but if you found it elsewhere then go for it if that floats your boat. later. jwc

Guest bucktooth

Yo.. thanks guys for this.. I've been trying to call places like ATB and Scotia, but they tell me the same thing they told JWC.. I still think apical is right on with RBC.. I think i'll end up getting the money through them.. Anyways.. congrats to everyone! We'll see ya in the fall..

Buck (Calgary)

Archived