Premed 101 Forums

What are the Waitlist Chances

Guest handofg0d

Guest handofg0d

Hi everyone, I've been lurking around the forums for the past few months without posting.

Anyway, just found out today that I got waitlisted by Queen's (from BC, mail arrives slow and I wasn't eager to phone). Queen's is my one and only remaining shot this year, and I was just wondering if anyone could post some numbers from previous years for how many people turned down Queen's or how long the waitlist actually is.

Also, I know that some other universities e.g. Alberta will tell you your position on the waitlist - does Queen's do this if you phone them?

This is my second time applying to med so I am waiting with baited breath.

Thanks in advance.

Guest handofg0d

Just called them.

260 (!!) people on the waitlist this year.

120 on the waitlist last year but apparently they went through all 120.

Even still, I believe there were only something like 450 interviews this year, so 100 acceptances + 260 waitlist is 360 or over half the interview pool.

I'm not sure I like these chances.

Guest Nadz227

handofg0d,

When u called, did they tell u your position on the waiting list?

I don't think anyone has answered the question yet...does Queens inform people of their waitlist placement?

Guest handofg0d

Yes there are 260 people on the waitlist this year. You'd think that with that many bloody people on the list, they would at least tell you exactly where you stand.

(It amuses me that the "am I in the top 130 or bottom 130" doesn't exactly help in this case).

Also, Anne Cumpson wouldn't tell me my position... maybe I don't know how to grease the wheels, or maybe they just don't tell.

Guest MellowYellow

Give it couple weeks before you call Anne, by then she might let you know where you are on the list. I vaguely remember that she did tell some people their ranks last year, but it was after the defer acceptance deadline.

Guest drews97

Well, I've only been on the waitlist for a couple of hours (that's since I"ve found out anyway) and I don't like it already :) Anyway, if one is lucky enough to get in off the waitlist how do they let you know? Do they phone or just send a letter. Also, is there any significant movement before the 'firm' acceptance deadline? Thanks.

Guest Paregorics2

Here's my 2 cents worth:

A) Over 200 individuals were waitlisted last year as well (constant number each year); of those approx 120 were offered full acceptance.

B) A short waitlist is compiled end of june/begin. of july. This is the time individuals with two or more acceptances have to chose one school over the other. At this time Anne will kindly tell you your place on the waitlist.

C) Enjoy your summer. GO OUT NOW, HAVE FUN. I cant stress this enough: once you have made the list you have an above average chance of an outright acceptance

peace,

:)

Guest JSS02

Also, keep in mind that some people withdraw their names from the waitlist before getting an acceptance, though they were ranked high enough to get in if they stayed on... so it's actually even a little better than the 120 number floating around, i.e. if you're on the waitlist your chances are actually quite good.

For those of you already accepted at Queen's, when is your confirmation due? I read that the admissions office gave applicants until June 10th to respond last year...

Guest JSS02

drews97, I was accepted off two waitlists last year (both in mid-June). So try to think positively... Offers can come as late as the end of August, so just try to enjoy your summer and hopefully you'll hear good news ASAP.

Guest PDSP

Hi all,

Just to let those Queens' wait-listers know that I declined my offer to Queens today. That should start at least a one-person move on the waitlist.

Good luck.

PD

Guest MellowYellow

WHAT? what's with all you people rejecting queen's?

Haha all jokes aside, i'm sure you guys will have fun wherever you go... and hopefully see you all at MedGames!

Patrick

Queen's Meds 6

Guest lcloh

If you're on three waitlists, imagine this scenario:

Person A is waitlisted at Queen's, Mac and Western.

Person B is waitlisted above him at Queen's and Mac, but got a first round offer at Western so he's in and Person A moves up a spot.

Person C is waitlisted above person A at Western, Mac and Queen's, but below Person B, but since Person B withdrew a waitlist, a space opens at Mac and Person C ends up at Mac.

This leaves Person D, who was waitlisted at Queen's above Person A, but Mac and Western below Person C. Now that Person C has freed up a Western spot, Person D heads for Western.

This leaves Person A with a spot at Queen's!

Hope this helps!

Guest Blackbird15

Hi all,

just to let you know, I've also rejected my offer at Queens. It's a great school, but just too expensive for me right now!

take care and good luck!

• 3 years later...

Archived