Premed 101 Forums

UWO - do i have a chance?

Guest say ahh

Guest say ahh

Hello,

Can someone help?? I've done 3 years of undergrad. My best 2 years GPA works out to be between 3.85-3.9. But my GPA this year was only a 3.7. Will that 3.7 weigh heavily on my chances of getting in to UWO dents? Or T.O. for that matter? Which is harder to get into?

My DAT score's competitive, but with that dip in GPA do I even stand a chance for acceptance to UWO if I apply next year? I have fairly decent marks, but I hear that the applicant average shot up this year. I know it changes from year to year, so let's assume that it stays about the same as this year.

Thanks for your help :)

Also: I think this was answered before, but I can't find it. Does UWO go by the OMSAS GPA system or do they look at percentages?

Guest Mr Shakur

I hope it doesnt go up too much this year, or else imma be sitting at home for a year. I have a question tho, this is my 5th year, and I only took 4 classes, and because the UBC psych department invoked a new policy, I got scaled down an average of 4.5% per class, which really hurts. Anyways, because i only took 4 classes this year, they shouldnt take it into account right? Or will they? ANyways, UBC Psych sucks.

Guest apical meristems

Hey say ahh,

Your numbers are pretty impressive! A 3.7 overall is still strong, even if you don't think so. Keep up the good work and you'll get into both Toronto and UWO! :)

Good luck,

ap

Guest predentalguy

hey... i am assuming ull be applying in ur fourth year... if so... if u have a honours degree western will give u bonus points in ur applicaton for that...

UWO doesnt really consider gpa per se... they will look at it... but they will use your actual average (ie 85% first year and so on ) to formulate the grade component of your application.

Personally I am applying this year with an honours and my average is a low 80. I think your chances are better than mine and I got an interiview... UWO does use the omsas conversion system (ie if you have a 3.9 its gonna be 85 -89)

I will let u know how I fair when I hear from them in june. good luck and try ur best to smoke the DAT's... that always will help out an application

cheers

Guest say ahh

hey thanks apical and predentalguy for the input.

so they use the percent grade to calculate your grade component? that would be good because this year i am in the higher range of the low 80s, but if it was gpa-based it would still be a 3.7.

i'm just a little worried because i have my two best years, but my most recent year was my lowest average.

:)

Guest toothy1985

hey, can anyone tell me PLEASE how I convert my grades from York university to western scale. I have been trying to find out by calling them, but its so useless, they do not give me a clear answer. So can anyone tell me how I would do that.

I tried to use OMSAS but thats for medical schools. soooo can anyone help. PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEe.

Guest Dentist

whatever you got for the med school is what you expect.

they also use OMSAS.

but if I remember correctly, OMSAS scale gives you a range e.g. A = 85~90, this case, Western will use the median 87 as % for a letter grade A.

that's what they did for me.

Guest toothy1985

hey, thanks a lot DENTIST!

wow... u must be sooo happy u made it so far... u at UWO? man i just finished my second year at York... now I gotta figure out where to apply.. so far I have a 3.7 for this year... but for next year we are aiming for a 4.0.. which i think is possible... but I gotta figure this OMSAS scale out... its so damn confusing. and ppl keep telling me different things.. but I think I m gonna use the method u mentioned, it sounds approprite.

thanks a lot.

Archived