Premed 101 Forums

third year

Guest kate

Guest kate

Is it true that queens only accepts 5 students from after third year? I have heard a couple rumours like this. 5 students sounds quite small.

Does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks,

Kate

• 4 weeks later...
Guest strider2004

5-10 students sounds reasonable. The average entering age is around 25 and there were about 10 22-yr olds in the first year class. Remember that the majority of applicants are in their 4th year or above. It's rare to apply to med school in 3rd year.

Strider

Guest MEDCOMPSCI

Hey,

It is not rare to apply in third year anymore, most people I know are doing it. Even if you don't get in, it gives you experince with taking interviews and filling out apps. etc.

Guest Ian Wong

Ha! Strider, you're getting to be an old fart! (so what does that make me) All the young'ins are applying early now.

I think it's getting trendy to apply after three years. From my standpoint, the only real negative to doing it is the possibility of dropping your GPA in your third year while you're all tied up with applications. However, in the event that you are unsuccessful, now you've already got a working copy of your application, letters of reference in your back pocket, and an idea of the application process itself, and possibly some interview experience.

To me, that's well worth the additional headache to do the hoop-jumping a year early. It also allows you to concentrate more on buffing your application during fourth year, or concentrating on those classes if your GPA suffered at all the previous year. Who knows, you might even get in. :)

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest strider2004

Sheesh, where's the joy of getting an honours degree before going to med school? Oh how times have changed...

A lot of people I know(including myself) applied after 3rd year. But I also know quite a few who didn't even write their MCAT until after 3rd year. I don't recommend this. In fact, I recommend writing your MCAT after 1st year(or high school). Everything's fresh and you can easily learn orgo in the summer.

Yes, I agree with Ian. Apply as early as possible. It'll smart if you're turned down, but it'll build character. Cheesy, isn't it?

Archived