Premed 101 Forums

Didn't write my MCAT's this year, take a year off?

ad19

I don't see why it would. It's not unusual to do this at all. In fact, some schools even seem to prefer applicants who are older and more experienced, if those age statistics are any true. I will be taking 2 years off in total, and I'm glad I did - I have time to experience real world work, to fix my finances so I can be debt-free by the time I start med, etc.

Hi,

I don't think that it's a problem by itself to take a year off as long as you keep busy and active.

Try to do the best you can in your last year, which will keep your options open for Queen's and UWO, the two Ontario schools that look at your best two years. The two-year GPA cutoff for Queen's was 3.78 while at UWO it was 3.70.

To be eligible for UWO, you need to complete an honours degree, so if you haven't done so, you should try to work that into your degree.

Best of luck.

Hi,

I think that OMSAS goes down to a minimum 0.5 credits for a course. On the OMAS website, there's a useful statement.

Q - I have taken various science labs, that are graded separately from the lecture portions of the classes. What weights do I assign to these?

A - If a science laboratory is graded separately, and is weighted as less than a half-year/semester course, the OMSAS course length is 0.5. All other labs are weighted the same as lecture courses with the same credit value.

For the OMSAS application, a half year course is given a weighting of 1, so your quarter year courses would fit in a 0.5, much like the science lab described above.

Good luck.

Archived