Premed 101 Forums

Med Games / Ice Bowl

1) Are Med Games and Ice Bowl the same thing?

2) On a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 is highly recommended, how much would you recommend me attending this/these events?

Medgames is freaking awesome! It's always in Quebec and it's for all the Ontario and Quebec schools as well as Manitoba and Dal. Don't know about Icebowl. Must be a western school thing.

I'd give MedGames about an 8/10. Plus, if the rotation of schools in Quebec that host it has held true, this January it will be at McGill...

It's properly known as the "Festivale Sportive et Sociale"; a lot of people go Festivale, get so Sociale that they can't be Sportive very well in the morning...

This year it is in Saskatoon, September 22-24. I've never been to one, but it looks and sounds like a right good time.

I kept hearing it's in calgary...are you sure it's saskatoon?

nevermind...just found out it is in saskatoon

Good call crackers,

It will indeed be in Montreal this year. It should be a fabulous time! Quebec city was pretty good last year! The first night featured $1 drinks in a CEGEP gymansium; it was a high school party with drinks aplently. I recall one person saying to me, "Some of these people are going to be doctors later!"

I think most of the UWO contigent went skiing last year, though someone can provide specifics.

It's properly known as the "Festivale Sportive et Sociale"; a lot of people go Festivale, get so Sociale that they can't be Sportive very well in the morning...

Guilty as charged. I was awoken the morning after the Cegep gong-show by my roommates kicking me in the ribs as they stumbled out the door to play Ultimate. One of my last coherent memories from the previous night was one of those roomies saying "a Naturopath just gave me something that she said would prevent hangover, and now I feel really weird..." Maybe I should have had what he had?

UWO is known for sending a lot of people to MedGames. The admin has actually been known to rearrange our class schedules so that we can attend. How cool is that? However, we usually default on most of our sports 'cuz no athletes show up. This year was no exception. A bunch of people went skiing (but I don't think they had great weather), a bunch toured the city (and tried to influence the outcome of the Federal Election) and a few of us even played some sports. After missing Ultimate I made it to tug-of-war, where we thumped McGill but were then totally smoked by umm...Sherbrooke? IIRC there was a guy on their team with arms as big as my legs.

Sat night was...intense, with a wicked band. If memory serves, about 20-30 people from my class were pressed right against the edge of the stage, pretty much dead centre for the entire show, with a massive crowd behind us. I was sore for a whole week after that...

Overall in the standings I think we had a solid eighth-place showing, but we really weren't there for the athletics. It was a great time, and we came back with a tonne of hilarious stories, many of which can't be repeated in public.

Long story short: Plan to attend MedGames. It's fun.

pb

Hey everyone,

I am a Med-1 at McGill and yes we are organizing the Med Games this year. I don't know much except that they are the weekend starting Friday, January 5th and that they rented out a whole hotel (capacity ~1800) for the event. We've been told not to miss it because it is great fun with ~2000 med students. This year we are inviting all the canadian med schools and we hope that each school shows up though we know the further away the school, the more expensive and difficult the trip. We really hope everyone will come because it should be an experience to remember (pardon the cliché!)

Ciao,

Laugh

Medgames at McGill will be awesome since everything will be downtown! (eliminating all the bussing around when it was at UdeM). I almost didn't go in first year and I'm so glad I did! I am also proud to say that I went to 2 medgames and participated in zero sports (although I did cheer lots and of course worked out my drinking arm). So sad I can't go this year (damn 3rd year).

Pb,

nice to know that Western's tradition of the most people, the longest trip, and the lowest actual attendance at sporting events continues... keep up the good work. And since it's in Montreal this year, don't forget the bagels.

If it was a tradition, it was broken last year! UofT had about 200 people there.

Also, I thought everyone got that Friday off? Are there any Ontario schools that don't?

Last year was maybe 7/10. Quebec City didn't have a venue, let alone 2, to handle the crowds on Sat and the other venues were too far apart. The city was beautiful and there was some great bonding among classmates.

I'm really looking forward to Montreal this year.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived