Premed 101 Forums

Double Cohort Effect

I was wondering if anyone has any idea if the double cohort effect will go down a little after this year....I hope....

I was wondering if anyone has any idea if the double cohort effect will go down a little after this year....I hope....

altho i'm not a moderator, i've seen posts been deleted for double posting. i assume that you're new, so i'm letting you know.

I was trying to figure out what the best section is to post it under. It can be deleted if need be. I just wanted some opinions.

I feared the double cohort when I applied as well. It seems as though applications did go up for some schools so it definitely will be interesting to see if it tapers off a bit this year.

Slap me for asking a stupid question, but what is the double cohort effect?????:P

With the elimination of OAC (grade 13), the last OAC year and grade 12 students that would graduate *without* the OAC simultaneously applied to universities.

That is the "double cohort", which has made its way through the undergrad ranks, and now is saturating grad school/meds/dents/etc applications. :-)

I think the bulk of the double cohort would have struck last year? Or is it this year?

I suppose it depends on how many yrs of undergrad people did...it may be playing out for a few years now..

Hi PTstudent:

I doubt the double cohort effect will subside during this application cycle. I think we are just heading into it right now and probably won't subside for another couple of years when the system digests the overflow.

Hey,

I agree with the above- the 'double cohort' effect will last at least a few years, as those double cohorters that didn't get in last year will no doubt re-apply, and re-apply and re-apply again.

Maybe they'll even post on this board with one of those "Omigod! My cumulative GPA is 3.98 and my MCAT is 36P- do I have a chance???" threads in the pre-med forum. Whoops, did I say that out loud? That wasn't very nice of me! I'm going to go now...

Best of luck!

Timmy

Archived