Premed 101 Forums

How to calculate WGPA in this scenerio.

Well, I just finished my first year and I sort of have a unique situation with sessions that I took. Basically to make a long story short, I entered into my first year during the winter session and my year didn't end until the end of July. So basically I was curious to know which session would be included in the calculation of my WGPA (winter or spring) if any. I have emailed the admission office and they just kept on emailling me back weird, self-contradicting answers, which is why I am turning to you guys for help.

Hi there,

As long as i know, if the summer/spring courses are as the part of your program, they will include it in the GPA. for example some of the professional program you have to be full time in summer as the part of the curriculum. So if you your self choose to take extra courses to graduated earlier or so , they won't count the courses in the GPA. Hope it helps.

Azadeh

http://www.medecine.uottawa.ca/admission/eng/AdmissionPolicy.html

So I tried to copy & paste a quote from the admissions policies but the page won't let me select anything on it...so the best I can do is post the above link ...which doesn`t even look like it is a hyperlink but I don`t know how to fix it :confused: maybe it will just magically turn into one once I post this reply.

Basically, it says that if you didn`t take a full-time course load during the regular school year...you can make up a missed class in the summer, but that they won`t count that summer semester's mark in the GPA calc (just count it as credit only). It also says " a full-time summer semester does not replace a semester of of studies within an academic year". Given this last statement I would guess that none of your coursework to date would be included. Which does seem to be bad news, if in fact, that turns out to be the case. But so far you don`t seem to have one full-time academic year (given that they don`t count the summer).

Maybe once you go full-time in the fall...then last winter's semester plus this fall's semester would count as a full academic year. Either way, it doesn`t seem you summer coursework will count.

It is too bad the answer you have gotten from admissions is unclear. Maybe try calling them to just talk to them in person.

Good luck

It said courses taken outside the regular academic or summer sessions will not be included in the WGPA.

The above is in the Step 2 section. Step 1 also has some details about it.

But I wouldnt give you hope that your winter semester wouldn`t count if you took full-time in the fall. But I can`t say for sure. It seems your summer semester definitely doesn`t count though.

Good luck

Archived