Premed 101 Forums

Reference letters

tommykay

Great forum! ;)

Going on to second year life sci as of sept; just have some questions with regards to collecting references.

Seeing as how I'm not too familiar wtih the application process: how do references work? Does every school request a certain number of references (3-5) sent and addressed in confidence directly to each medical school? 2) is it pre/or post interview? 3) Will med schools contact the reference person if the interview is successful? 4) Is there a differentiated form that each med school uses?

Pertaining to my case, i'm working casually as a f/t summer student for the government, completely unrelated to health. I will be applying to med school most likely after 4th year; that's about 3 years from now. Chances are, my supervisor will not remember me as they get a batch of new students every summer. Shall i ask for a generic reference letter, a specific med reference letter now* or hold off for a couple years and ask her again then**??

*(I don't imagine asking her for a specific med reference now is the best choice as a - she will need to make and sign 4-6 copies of it for select med schools, and b- i don't have any of the forms.)

**(by which I'd be highly surprised if she remembers me.)

tks guys!

Yea...probably not such a good idea. There are some pretty heavy weighting schemes on reference letters at some schools and they are often expected to be very good. It's probably better to start scoping out some people you will want to write your reference letters now and start building good relationships with them.

Can reference be from high school teacher? How many reference letters are required from faculty of undergrad school?

References can be from high school teachers. You don't need a certain number of references from undergrad. school necessarily, you just need references who know you well.

I know one guy going into 4th year med. and he said that some applicants have used neighbors they babysat for in the past as references. This just goes to show you, it just has to be people who know you well and can make strong objective comments. Good luck.

The references don't have to know you for longer than a year. However, the reference form will ask the assessor how long and how well they know the applicant. I would fill out a reference form (with anyone's name for now on omsas) and print it out so you can see what they ask and find someone appropriate.

GM

Archived