Premed 101 Forums

Surgery rotations

Hi all,

I am starting clerkship shortly and looking for advice primarily for surgery since that is coming first. My core rotations include 4 weeks gen surg and 2 weeks emergency. My selectives are urology, plastics and anesthesia (2 weeks each). I am not interested in surgery for residency, but don't want to come across as unkeen either. Any thoughts? Any resources you'd recommend?

Thanks!

Hi there,

I just completed my Surgery and Anesthesia mandatory rotations and both were good experiences. The Toronto Notes are great for Gen Surg, Urology, Plastics and Anes. You might also wish to pick up the Lawrence book on General Surgery to flesh out your knowledge on fluids, electrolytes, etc. As for Anes, there's a book which we were lent for our rotation, "Anesthesia for Medical Students". That should be all you'll need to do well on the rotation.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 3 months later...

I don't know what school you're at, but there's some UofT specific resources:

1) Mt. Sinai Hospital Surgical Resident's Guide (they give it to clerks if theres extra copies)

2) Lange Current Surgical Dianosis ant Treatment (its available everywhere, but the surgical teaching at UofT is right out of it...I was doing an elective this summer, and that book saved me from looking like a complete idiot)

In terms of other useful resources:

1) Netter's Atlas of Surgical Anatomy

2) Lange Surgery on Call

3) Palm Resources: ACS surgery, diagnostisaurus, drug program, epocrates

4) Sabiston's

5) Surgical Recall and Advanced Surgical Recall

Thanks guys!

I found Toronto Notes to be decent for these rotations. Lawrence's Essentials of Surgery was great when you needed a bit more in-depth info. I also found Case Files: Surgery, to be a fabulous resource. I didn't quite like the format of Surgical Recall, but all the residents suggested to know the book in and out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Everyone,

Any suggestions on how to make the best of a surgery clerkship rotation when one is IM-minded. How did you manage to get the most out of your rotation without totally converting your preferences. Are there other roles for those not wanting to observe procedure or suturing in the OR all day?

Rome

Hey Everyone,

Are there other roles for those not wanting to observe procedure or suturing in the OR all day?

Rome

Hi there,

No joke, but you could offer to take charge of the ward/scut duties for the day. In this role there is often a good deal of interaction with consult services, including Internal Med.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 1 month later...

For the person who is IM-minded... hmm... been there and done that!

I don't know if you have any choice over your preceptor, but one of my surgical preceptors was also an intensivist... so my first two weeks of the rotation were spent with him in the ICU and not in the OR! ICU is a great experience for anyone considering IM.

Also... offer to see consults in the ER and on the ward. It's more exciting than merely rounding on the ward patients, keeps you out of the OR, and keeps those who want to be operating in the OR!

Also, bear in mind that there's lots of overlap between gen surg and IM - hepatobiliary disease, IBD, malignancy, etc. These patients are always developing post-op complications that are medical - PE, infection, a. fib, MI, etc. Take the time to read up on some of those things!

At the very worst, it's just a few weeks. Consider it a rite of passage.

Good luck :)

Archived