Premed 101 Forums

Starting a Master's degree and applying to Med School in the same year

Guest Apollo

Hey all,

I know someone who started their research-based (2yr) Master's degree and applied to the Ontario med schools at the same time. At the end of her first year, she was accepted to U of O with no conditions attached, so she dropped her Master's program and is now at U of O Meds.

I'm wondering if this person will experience any difficulties in the future? For instance, when she applies for summer research positions, residency, or other post-grad medicine programs, will her undergrad and grad school university transcripts be evaluated? Will she be frowned upon because she did not complete her Master's degree? In essence, will her decision to not complete her Master's degree impede her in any way down the road? Alternatively, if only her med school transcript is considered, I guess she's in the clear?

Thanks for the info

Hey,

I'm wondering if this person will experience any difficulties in the future?

I highly doubt it- unless, of course, that person is applying for a position in their former lab under their former supervisor!

Even so, I'd be willing to bet that it would be nothing that an honest explanation couldn't take care of. The fact that this person dropped out of Master's because they really wanted to do Medicine and got into Medicine is a perfectly legitimate reason to not complete a Master's degree, IMHO. Otherwise, they're just taking a place away from someone who really wants to be in a Master's program (unless, of course, that person also really wants to do Medicine and is just doing the Master's to fill the time until they eventually get into Medicine!).

Archived