Premed 101 Forums

Length requirement for Toronto essay?

Hi everyone,

OMSAS says that "All applicants are required to submit a personal statement, in an essay of 1000 words or less, to a maximum of 8000 characters" for UT.

Does this mean the limit is 1000 words or 8000 characters? B/c 8000 characters is about 1200 words!

Thanks to anyone who can clarify this for me!

When I applied last year, the U of T personal statement space limitation was not enforced on the OMSAS server, althogh mentioned in the space where you fill out the personal statment.

I'm not sure if that is still the case this year, but I just kept typing last year and my U of T personal statment was over both the word and character limit but it did not get cut off. Mac questions, on the other hand, did not even allow me to type any more characters once I"m over.

Therefore, provided that the OMSAS server will allow you to do so, I would suggest adhering your essay size more or less to the word/character guidelines to the best of your ability. Any overflows will be fine as long as it's not double the limit.

Hi everyone,

OMSAS says that "All applicants are required to submit a personal statement, in an essay of 1000 words or less, to a maximum of 8000 characters" for UT.

Does this mean the limit is 1000 words or 8000 characters? B/c 8000 characters is about 1200 words!

Thanks to anyone who can clarify this for me!

There was a statement about this on the UofT website which I can't seem to find now. What it said was that the 8000 character limit in OMSAS was to allow plenty of leeway for essays to be entered without being cutoff. The essay limit is 1000 words. No one is going to count the number of words, but keep in mind then when reviewers are reading lots of essays, they can tell the difference between 1000 words and 1200 words.

Archived