Premed 101 Forums

Advice Needed- References

Need to ask a question...

I can't decide who to use for references. I currently work in a medical clinic (I'm a Chiropractor/Acupuncturist) and any of the doctors there would give me a glowing reference. I need to submit three references. How many of the md's at my clinic should I use? I could ask a Prof from my Chiropractic School, he would give me a great reference, as well. Is using a Chiro Prof detrimental? My undergrad was quite a few years ago and my Profs wouldn't remember me. Should I use a past employer/family friend (I worked at a vet clinic, he's the vet)? A highschool teacher who I've kept in touch with?

Any advice you can offer would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Estrella

Chiros! I love you guys! I feel that the media has given you guys such a bad rap. I mean there are some people out there you think you guys might kill them! But the reality is, the odds of you dying from surgery are far greater than from being adjusted, it's common sense, yet people fear chiros more than they fear surgeons. Unfortunately, the medical community doesn't think too highly of chiropractors either, and they *might* be biased towards you regardless of your references. I don't mean to discourage you from applying, just telling you something you probably know (I'm sure you're all too familiar with Wilk et al. vs the AMA).

A quick question, are you a straight subluxation based chiro? I'm assuming you're not because you're applying to medicine, but chiros who think that manips can cure everything from diabetes to cancer are a bit unethical/unorthodox. Here I am judging people, what I hypocrite I am (refer to my question of morality thread in the pre-med general forum). Well if you are, I apologize for the previous statement, after all there is a market for you guys. I've heard of subluxation chiros grossing over $100,000 per year cuz they manip like crazy.

Anyways, sorry for the digression. To answer your question, I would ask three MDs if possible, especially since you are a chiropractor by profession, given the inherent bias of the medical profession towards chiropractic. Hope that helps, and I apologize if I offended you, but the opening statement still stands, I love you guys, be it mixers or straight!!! (after all Flyod Landis, Ben Johnson, the 2003 Carolina Panthers, and Barry Bonds all have questionable ethics, yet I'm a still big fan of theirs)

Thank you for your reply! The answer to your question... as I work in a clinic with 6 family doctors, 1 orthopaedic surgeon, 1 Anesthatist, and a general surgeon it is safe to say that I am a mixer. I run a rehab practice and do a little pain management using physical modalities. As for a subluxation I have never been sure what that actually is... I personally don 't know any chiros who think they can cure diabetes although exercise, proper diet and some weight loss can do wonders. I am curious how you knew about the Wilk et al. vs the AMA case? I too am a fan of Ben Johnson- I mean he still is the fastest man on earth.

Estrella

Do you work for the docs that you'll be asking for a reference, or do you work with them? Because I think it's probably important to receive a variety of references who will portray you in different lights rather than just getting them from the doctors because they're doctors. It's better to portray yourself positively from an employer, a teacher, and a co-worker rather than just 3 co-workers or 3 employers. That way the meds committees can get to know you from three angles rather than just one.

You also said you could use a prof from chiro as they'd give you a glowing reference even though they wouldn't remember who you are - I would shy away from this and rather get the letter from the teacher you've kept in touch with who would (hopefully) comment not only on you and your learning abilites from high school, but also how you've grown into the person you've become.

I believe muchdutch's advice is equally as valid. It's always good to have more than one opinion. I'm just telling you what I would do if I were in your situation.

Here's another reason why I think you should use three MDs. All human beings have biases. If I were an admissions committee member and I read a good reference letter from an MD as opposed to an equally good letter from a prof, I think it would hold more weight. I think academic references are overrated, unless they're from a research supervisor. I mean everyone who applies to meds has good grades, so what's the point of having a prof comment how good you are from an academic standpoint? I think many applicants use high school teachers because it's difficult to get to know profs in undergrad.

Anyways, most people have good references, so I think who writes them is just as important as what they say. If you were to get an orthopod, an anesthetist, and a general surgeon to write your references you would stand out on the basis of your references alone in comparison to the rest of the applicant pool.

I'm not surprised you're not sure of what a subluxation is. I've heard many chiros vehemently disagree on the exact definition of a subluxation. According to one of my buddies who's at canadian memorial chiropractor college, subluxation is a "four letter word".

To answer your question regarding the wilk vs ama case, I learned about it in some course I took in undergrad. I think it was law and society, or something along those lines.

PS. It's good to see there's another Ben Johnson fan out there

IMHO chose the 3 that know you best and will be able to write excellent letters.

When I was applying and struggling with who to choose...I ran it by an MD I knew and worked with and told him the options I was considering. In the end he said that admissions really aren`t looking for glowing letters of references....because pretty much everybody has them, that is the name of the game...but what they are looking for is the not so great letters of references as a red flag.

And having written some letters of references for students I've had in my past career as an S-LP, I would tend to agree. I never said anything bad in the letters of the students I wasn`t so impressed with...but I didn`t say anything outstanding either!

So, take the above with a grain of salt. I have not been part of an admissions committee and I don`t know how involved the MD I worked with was with the admissions process...but it makes sense to me.

Hi there,

It seems to me that the references aspect of the application is one of the most difficult for those of us who have been away from our undergrad for a while. How do people suggest getting around this? I'm really worried about not having a professor as a recommender. What about using a TA?

Hi there,

If a letter from a professor is required then a TA letter probably won't help much. Additionally, letters from TAs generally aren't too highly regarded unless they're exceptionally strong and not being used as a substitute for a letter from a professor.

If you have some upcoming courses and require a letter from a professor then it might be to your benefit to approach the professor during office hours with questions related to the subject being taught, or if you're interested in their brand of research, ask to be involved. Those are two ways in which a professor can better get to know you as a student and possibly feel comfortable crafting a reference letter for you.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived