Premed 101 Forums

Is an MBA considered a graduate degree?

Hi there,

Looking at the information page for graduate applicants, there is mention of a thesis committee, which I interpret as restricting graduate applicants to those who have completed Masters of PhD degrees.

I'm aware one person in the 0T8 class who completed an MBA degree before entering medical school.

Unless someone posts something specific on this board, my advice is to contact admissions to see how they would view your MBA courses. You also might want to ask if and how the weighting formula applies in your case.

Hi there,

When I applied to UofT, my MBA was considered a graduate degree, and a graduate applicationn package was requested. This can be viewed as a disadvantage, however, since once you are in the graduate pool, your graduate productivity is rated relative to that of other graduate students. Generally, MBA degrees don't offer as much opportunity as other graduate degrees to generate graduate productivity re: publications, conference presentations, etc.

Also, unless the policies have changed, I believe law degrees were not considered to be graduate degrees. Instead, they were deemed secondary undergraduate degrees.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

When I applied to UofT, my MBA was considered a graduate degree, and a graduate applicationn package was requested. This can be viewed as a disadvantage, however, since once you are in the graduate pool, your graduate productivity is rated relative to that of other graduate students. Generally, MBA degrees don't offer as much opportunity as other graduate degrees to generate graduate productivity re: publications, conference presentations, etc.

Note that according to the U of T FAQ this should not put applicants at a disadvantage:

5) Will I be at a disadvantage if I am in a course-based graduate program where I have no publications?

No. More weight will be placed on the course marks. Generally, an A- average in graduate courses is considered competitive. Students are still required to send a CV, an up-to-date transcript (if applicable) and the additional letters of reference in January.

Archived