Premed 101 Forums

Seeking advice

Hey guys,

I’m new to the forum and I completed my first year of studies at the University of Manitoba, last year. I’m quite interested in pursuing a career in either Medicine or Pharmacy. With that said, would anybody on this forum be able to provide me with some advice on how I’m currently doing with respect to admissions to medicine. In addition, would anybody be able to provide me with some practical advice on preparation for the pharmacy “critical thinking” exercise conducted by UofM admissions committee.

I also placed some information below.

My first year GPA was 4.22

I took the following courses:

Biology B

Chemistry 1: Structure and Modeling

Chemistry 2: Physical Chemistry

Principles of Economics

Computer Usage

Introductory to University

Summer Session

Nutrition for health and changing lifestyles

This year I’m taking the following courses:

General Physics 1 and 2

Organic 1 and 2

Human growth and development

Calculus for management for social sciences

Thanks Guys,

Sunny

A couple suggestions.

1) I would recommend taking a FULL course load, as in 30 credit-hours. It will keep you in the running for a lot of other schools later on.

2) I'm sure you have been told that taking Microbiology, Biochemistry, and Organic Chemistry all at the same time is suicide, but it was one of the best decisions I ever made. It was tough and I had to study a lot, however, some key material overlaps near the finals for Micro and Biochem. This made studying a lot easier. As well, it will be fresh in your head should you decide to take the MCAT soon after.

3) Don't take Calculus for Management, you are not a management student.

4) I would recommend adding Microbiology A, B, and Genetics. I know it sounds harder, but you will be grateful come MCAT time.

You don't have to necessarily listen to this, however, I am applying to medical school this year and I can apply to a lot more places with my marks already in place because I decided to take a harder-than-usual 2nd year. It happened to work out for me, and now there are a lot more courses I can take in 3rd year I wouldn't have been able to if I hadn't taken Micro, Biochem, and Organic.

I'd like to say your GPA is amazing, but that's roughly a 3.87 on the OMSAS scale, however, you have never taken a full course load so I don't even know if you'd be competitive at some schools out-of-province. If your intention is to go to UofM, then you are currently in a good position, however, make sure you can get your BSc.(Gen) done with the necessary courses. Your course selection don't really show any specific focus that would allow for a General degree so you may want to start considering that.

Kuantum

Wow, thanks for the advice Kauntum!

Would you be able to clarify the following:

1. The suggestion on taking a full course load is great, however would it hurt my chances in other schools if I were to take a full course load in my 3rd year. Because at this point im not sure whether I would have the opportunity to add an additional course to my existing schedule. On the other hand, I could add an additional course to my second semester giving me a grand total of 27 credit hours.

2.When you are referring to the OMSAS scale, sorry I'm not familure with this. Would you be able to clarify this?

By the way, the reason I'm taking Calculus for Management is because I'm planning on applying to the faculty of pharmacy this year. And unless I have an approved calculus from the faculty, wouldn't be able to meet the requirments. I chose to take the Management one because I feel im generally weaker in the mathematical area, as result felt that this would be a nice course that would not only meet my requirement for math, but also be slightly more pleasent to take.

Sunny

Wow, thanks for the advice Kauntum!

Would you be able to clarify the following:

1. The suggestion on taking a full course load is great, however would it hurt my chances in other schools if I were to take a full course load in my 3rd year. Because at this point im not sure whether I would have the opportunity to add an additional course to my existing schedule. On the other hand, I could add an additional course to my second semester giving me a grand total of 27 credit hours.

2.When you are referring to the OMSAS scale, sorry I'm not familure with this. Would you be able to clarify this?

By the way, the reason I'm taking Calculus for Management is because I'm planning on applying to the faculty of pharmacy this year. And unless I have an approved calculus from the faculty, wouldn't be able to meet the requirments. I chose to take the Management one because I feel im generally weaker in the mathematical area, as result felt that this would be a nice course that would not only meet my requirement for math, but also be slightly more pleasent to take.

Sunny

1. Well, 27 credit-hours doesn't really cut it as a full course load. You'll still be fine for UofM, but as for some other schools I don't know.

2. Check page 9 of http://www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/pdf/b_omsas_e.pdf#search=%22omsas%20gpa%20conversion%22

Some schools will look at your best two years (Calgary), others your last two years (Saskathewan?), your last three (Ottawa), etc... A full-time schedule is a must to get into those schools.

Manitoba will drop your lowest grades assuming you took 120 credits (which would mean 4 years of full-time undergraduate degree), but I'm pretty sure they count summer classes so you can catch it up if you want to have an ever better chance of getting in.

• 1 month later...

I applied to pharmacy, was accepted this year, and was a highly ranked applicant in the process. If you need some words of advice on the written exercise, send me a private message with your e-mail and I'd be happy to talk to you about it. If you have MSN, all the better. I'm also on campus alot and have a fairly flexible schedule this year (on account of not accepting the offer from Pharmacy), and hence, am able to meet on campus fairly easily as well.

- Ninjzz -

I applied to pharmacy, was accepted this year, and was a highly ranked applicant in the process. If you need some words of advice on the written exercise, send me a private message with your e-mail and I'd be happy to talk to you about it. If you have MSN, all the better. I'm also on campus alot and have a fairly flexible schedule this year (on account of not accepting the offer from Pharmacy), and hence, am able to meet on campus fairly easily as well.

- Ninjzz -

How do you know you were highly ranked? They don't release that information.

I do not wish to go into this matter any further.

Suffice it to say, if you still require assistance, do not hesistate to contact me, Sunny.

Fair enough. I'm just saying you made a claim that was questionable. I don't require assistance, I just think you may be depicting yourself in a light that you probably shouldn't.

Fair enough. I'm just saying you made a claim that was questionable. I don't require assistance, I just think you may be depicting yourself in a light that you probably shouldn't.

I wasn't offering you assistance of any sort. My post was in response to the OP's request.

Furthermore, I am not misconstruing myself in any way, and certainly not "depicting myself in a light that I probably shouldn't". The long and short of it is that you're accusing me of lying. Having no support for such allegations, please stop with the accusations.

I wasn't offering you assistance of any sort. My post was in response to the OP's request.

Furthermore, I am not misconstruing myself in any way, and certainly not "depicting myself in a light that I probably shouldn't". The long and short of it is that you're accusing me of lying. Having no support for such allegations, please stop with the accusations.

I am accusing you of lying because you are saying you have access to information that is NOT revealed. If you want to release yourself of accusation, explain in detail how you know you were highly rank and then maybe...just maybe...I might in the slightest believe you.

I am accusing you of lying because you are saying you have access to information that is NOT revealed. If you want to release yourself of accusation, explain in detail how you know you were highly rank and then maybe...just maybe...I might in the slightest believe you.

I don't have to explain myself to you. :rolleyes:

I think you do...at least if you don't want me to question your credibility to give truthful advice on these forums.

I still stand by the fact that you were not being truthful when you stated that you were a highly ranked applicant. The Faculty of Pharmacy does not release that information, and by telling others that, you are obviously falsifying the truth.

Now, you have two options, either explain or admit that you didn't know rank.

Archived