Premed 101 Forums

Structured vs nonstructured

red

Hey all- just wondering what your thoughts are regarding the non-structured experiences for the ABS- i.e. those that "determine needs in one's community" that do not involve an organization (like traditional volunteer work does). It seems most, if not all, of my activities involve organizations in some way or another...Is this anything to really worry about? I don't really want to put in mediocre things at the expense of more challenging organizational work just to fulfill the non-structured bit (i.e. cat-sitted while a friend went home to look after ill parent- OK yes it is a bad example and I REALLY apologize if someone did this!!:()

I think they wrote that just to get applicants' creative juices flowing about the types of things they should write down. It's probably also to avoid 1000 calls to OMSAS asking if they think cutting their 80 year old neighbour's lawn every week was worth putting down.

Saying that you CAN write out structured and non-structured things is not saying that you MUST. If all your experiences are structured and verifiable, then great! If there's something you really want to bring to the attention of adcoms that isn't structured, then go ahead and write it down.

Hope that helps,

Magnum

Archived