Premed 101 Forums

So I've screwed up (missed the deadline for OMSAS registration)

daryn

I know this is my own fault. I know. Don't rub it in.

I can't believe I missed the deadline. I have it written on my chart. I don't know what I was (not) thinking. It doesn't seem real to me at all. Like it's happening to somebody else.

I just feel like commiserating. I feel like the biggest failure now.

Thanks for reading.

(I know that I still would have to apply as an OOP to other schools. But I'm cutting out my best chances.)

I'm really sorry to hear that...:( I know that it'll be very difficult, but try not to get too down about it...that way you can be 110% when you do your applications for OOP. You never know -- you may be pleasantly surprised at the response you get from OOP schools! :) Good luck!!

oh well. I guess that's it for you, huh? You'll just never get into med school and be a failure for the rest of your life...:rolleyes:

I can understand how one application cycle can seem like such a huge deal (especially when you're 19-20ish, which I'm assuming you are - I apologize if you are not). But it's only one year of your life. Like Jade said, use this time to apply oop and see what happens. And now you can really edit all your omsas components and beef up your application for next year.

Besides, there's always next year. And the year after that. And the year after that........:P

Jade: Thank you Jade. To tell you the truth, I now feel a bit relieved. I feel even more ready for whatever that is going to happen and hopefully it is going to make me a better applicant/person. I still have options. Thanks Jade.

Celeria: I hear that a lot, which is probably true. I'm learning a big lesson, although paying a price for it.

muchdutch: I wrote that post right after I found out so I was a bit...shaken. So forgive me if I sounded negative and whiny. I gave myself a night to mope. Assuming the OOPs don't go well, there is so much to be done to enrich not only my application, but my life as well. It's possibly the last chance to do whatever I want to do given a whole year to do it.

Scarface: Indeed, good for me. In fact, you do bring out an excellent point. I feel more assured of myself and with more of a direction.

I do have to ask, why are you holding a grudge? I never judged you as being bad and myself good. Although we are just strangers, I wish you luck on your apps.

Well for starters I'm not a nice guy. And if I really did hold a grudge against you, I would have said something along the lines of "ha ha, you suck you loser!!!!" (yes, I'm that mean). And I really do think I'm bad, and that you as well as everyone else on these forums are good. That's just what I think, doesn't mean it's true.

I meant no disrespect when I made that post, after all, I was just echoing what you said to me a week ago. I will acknowledge that my social skills are pathetic, so when you said to me "good for you", I took it as a social slight, which is why I wanted to give you a hard time back then. Consequently, I felt so guilty, because I realized that you meant it with good intentions, so I decided to return the favor in a different thread. (man aren't you wishing you never made that post in the first place? well, now you've learned)

Daryn, there's a lot of wicked people in this world. When you start working, some of your colleagues and patients will give you a very hard time, as they will show no sensitivity to your feelings. That's life, you can't like everyone you meet. Good luck with your apps too. Don't lose hope, you still have a chance as an OOP.

Girl, do not despair, check your PM box in a sec, you may be able to use my account (which I'm not using this year). I'll give you my ID and password, I just need to erase my personal info out of the system first.

Except you had put your original name when you created the account, which cannot be erased. So if another were to take over and apply, it would be clear that your account was taken and the individual failed to originally create his/her own. Not sure if it's a good idea to get either of your names involved in the mess. Just my 2 cents :cool:

I'm too lazy to search, but from what I remember, last year somebody tried to do that (ie. take over a friend's account) and OMSAS disqualified his application because they had a problem with him taking over somebody's account. They managed to find him out even though neither he nor his friend said anything. I believe that's why they included the following line this year: "Applicants must create their own personal account, and not take over accounts created by someone else."

Hey,

Be a little careful about using an account you did not create. A few years ago (it may have been last year?) on this forum a person encountered a similar problem where he forgot to sign up for an account before the deadline, found somebody who had already created an account and wasn't using it. He ended up using the friend's account to submit his application. After OMSAS processed the applications, he got an e-mail from them saying that he had used the account wrongfully and all his applications were tossed out. Not sure if they gave his money back or not.

Moral of the story: I'd stay away from using OMSAS accounts created by someone else.

Edit: Ah I forgot to read page 2. Consider this confirmation of the above incident :)

To everybody else:

Thanks for letting me know. Really.

To Jochi:

Like I have said so in my numerous PMs, THANK YOU AND I LOVE YOU. I have decided to skip this cycle (because I genuinely deserve it) and you certainly don't deserve it if you get into trouble for it. I really appreciated your help (and really renewed my faith in humanity haha).

Archived