Premed 101 Forums

Chances of getting in after 3 years.

Guest Gexar

Guest Gexar

Howdy everyone.

I am just finished my second yr of undergrad and have a 3.88 and 3.94 GPA on the OMSAS scale. I am writing the MCAT this August and if I score 35+ what are the chances of me getting after 3 years?

Also, are ALL ONTARIO MEDICAL SCHOOLS moving to a four year degree? If so, that is BS. A 3-year student is just as qualified as a 4-year student. Are there any schools that are remaining 3-yr undergraduate requirement.

Finally, if schools do accept my application, what are the chances of getting in with my GPA and MCAT scores?

Thank you everyone, the help on this board is very beneficial.

Gexar

Guest spiritgirl

Gexar,

chances depend on a lot of things... your extracurriculars, the strength of your essays, how your interview goes, how many schools you apply to, how your MCAT turns out, etc.

if you read some of the accepted/waitlisted/rejected threads, you might get a good idea of some of the stats needed to get in... but everyone is different.

Guest brownthug

you'd be suprised how important a 4th year can be, even if you are doing very well. This is especially true for younger applicants. I just finished my 4th year and I'm only 21; i'm pretty sure even with my stats i wouldn't have gotten in after third year simply because admissions boards could have issues with the maturity of a 20 year old.

but then again, everyone's different, so go ahead

Guest stepstofollow
I just finished my 4th year and I'm only 21; i'm pretty sure even with my stats i wouldn't have gotten in after third year simply because admissions boards could have issues with the maturity of a 20 year old.

True. Maturity can be an issue, and admissions committees are surprisingly efficient at sniffing immaturity out.....

Sometimes maturity can take even longer to develop -- I know some 20 year old who as mature as 30 years old, and some 21 year that behave like 13 year olds....

It's all about how you conduct yourself.

Guest vitegeist

I got in at 20 (well, I was 19 when I applied), but I think it has to do with the fact that I started volunteering, being very active in community stuff and extracurriculars (sports, student affairs, etc) early in high school. I lucked out and got an NSERC USRA after 1st year which means that I now have about 3 summers ( p/t work in the school year) of research under my belt. Also, I suppose that I am more of an 'old' thinker and tend to get along better with older people; for example, my best friend is 12 years older than me.

Anyway, you have some stellar stats (I hope you get that 35 on the MCAT, wooo!) and you have a fair chance at getting an interview at many schools if your extracurriculars are good. I think where the maturity thing will be an issue is at the interview. If you come across as a professional, responsible, 'worldly' individual, that may do the trick. Then again, no one really knows how interviewers deliberate, and it is very hard to judge what sort of impression they got from you.

Guest cosmodion

To get in after third year, the general trend amongst matriculating students is some stellar academics. It is my understanding that schools may overlook a lack of life experience if they feel you are particularly bright and this is the only crack they have for you to go to their school.

Rephrased- If you roll into applications with a 3.9 GPA and 35+ MCAT you will stand distinctly amongst most applicants. And some schools have application criteria that is particular academics-heavy in weighting (Notably- Western, Toronto [sort of], and the States).

Personally, applying in third year was a wise choice for me- so far I'm in at Hopkins, Western and Queen's after coming in with 3.95 and 40 on the MCAT...and not a whole lot else.

Take a look at yourself and see how you stack up with academics, research, medical experience, extracurrics, attractiveness or whatever it is that counts. If nothing else, applying in third year is very good experience even if it doesn't work out for you.

Give'r hell, good luck.

Guest Gexar

Hi everyone.

Thanks for your posts. Cosmodion congrats on your great scores especially the MCAT. Did you take any courses and/or what books/materials did you use. I really want to crush this MCAT coming up [35+] and maybe even ding the 40. Any hlep you can offer is great.

Cosmo, if you think I keep up a 3.9+ GPA and get above 35 on the MCAT I stand a great chance of getting into a Canadian or US medical school?

Thanks everyone, and if anyone else wants to post please do so.

Guest Jochi1543

Yeah, the 4th year is important not only because it's an extra year for you to live your life and gain experience, but also because the coursework tends to differ. I have to write a dissertation to graduate, I'm sure it will be very different from your regular in-class coursework.

I don't wanna think about it.:x :P

Guest Braveheart

Hey Gexar,

Wow, those stats of yours sound very good! I agree with alot of other people here have already mentioned, it really depends on other aspects of your application- extracurriculars, volunteering, references, and INTERVIEW.

I understand how much you want to get into med school as soon as possible and you're right, age doesn't necessarily say much about one's maturity. Heck, I'm in my twenties but I can say that I have the maturity of many 30 year olds. But what you can think is this: yes it may seem unfair that you can't make it into med school after 3rd year if they change their admission requirements, but heck, you can use that one year to do a whole lot of things- you can finish off your undergrad degree to have all those previous years in university acknowledged, you can do some more travelling, learn new things, etc. It really is no biggie having to wait another year. Think, as each year passes, you not only gain more experience but you have an increased chance of making it in (since you have more experiences and are thus termed "more mature"). So don't worry so much about it, enjoy your life. With the marks that you have, you don't need to worry about your grades holding you back so just enjoy those years prior to making it into med school because you've earned it with all your hardwork.

Guest Gexar

Hi Braveheart and others.

Thank you for your nice comments. I want to be a doctor very badly as it is my dream job. As long as I continue to improve in my marks and MCAT score, and show confident and maturity in the interview, I hope things will turn out great, and I will get in after three years.

**** I know this has nothing to do with the topic, but does anyone know of medical schools in the SOUTHERN US that accept Canadians? [all the ones I check on the web don't even mention Canada in them] ****

• 4 weeks later...
Guest macya

Just to let you know that it is possible to get in after 3 years even without a 4.0 gpa. I have a 3.7 gpa, didn't write my MCATs and still got into McMaster after 3 years. I believe that my interview is what made the difference.

Archived