Premed 101 Forums

Does anyone else see the contradiction in the ottawa submission?!?!

Can someone please tell me what I'm missing? I've been a research assistant and did my Honours thesis. Two things that I thought were pretty strong examples of research. So I listed both as research and I read this under the Research section of the Ottawa submission:

Indicate the type of publications: paper, abstract and presentation at a scientific meeting etc., accepted or published with a reference, but not submitted or in preparation.

Please note that projects done as part of a university course do not qualify as research.

Okay. Fine. Neither have been published and one was my thesis course, so I list the research as employment and the thesis as an "other" and I see this:

Do not list research positions which are part of your graduate training or honours program. These should be listed under the Research section.

WHAT?!?! So it DOES belong in research after all?! Can someone help me sort thru this and tell me where I should put my research?!

I'd REALLY appreciate the help. I've about had it w/ this application!

Magnum

I know this probably doesn't help you too much but I don't think it ultimately depends too much what section you put it under. I had done a paper as an undergrad course, listed it under research, then noticed that it didn't count (as you showed) so I just took it out.

During the interview they don't really have too much time to pick through you sketch with a fine tooth comb. Just stick it in somewhere I'd say.

During the interview they don't really have too much time to pick through you sketch with a fine tooth comb.

That's just it. With a quick read thru, an entry w/ an R beside it will stand out as research, while if listed as employment, it might be missed altogether.

siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh... this med school thing is exhausting!:(

That's just it. With a quick read thru, an entry w/ an R beside it will stand out as research, while if listed as employment, it might be missed altogether.

siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh... this med school thing is exhausting!:(

I'd say put it under research. If you meet the GPA requirement you'll be granted an interview and I highly doubt they will confront you about what section you decided to put an activity under. If they do just tell them about the contradiction I suppose...

hi magnum,

i also did a 4th yr thesis, and have held a few research assistant jobs. I included all of this into the "Research" section.

i took the ottawa wording to mean don't include course based stuff.. like if you did a research methods stats class, or a research oriented lab component of a course. a full yr 4th yr thesis most certainly counts as research experience (imho)!

i agree with you that you want to have some R's in there. i met the wgpa cutoff last yr and had no R's... (following the ottawa 'advice') and did not get an interview. this yr i have 5 R's... so, i think it can only help.

good luck!

chrail

Archived