Premed 101 Forums

When is it best to earn a PhD? (before, during, after med school?)

Hi,

I'm not sure where to pose this question.

It seems that several (if not many) specialities (particularly surgical) highly recommend that students obtain a MSc. or PhD during the course of residency. My question is whether it is advantageous/detrimental/neutral to complete a PhD prior to residency, ie. via MD/PhD stream? Also, I was wondering if a PhD obtained through basic science research would be useful/beneficial/looked upon favourably during residency?

Thanks!!

Hi there,

There are lots of pros and cons to completing a graduate degree before, during or after medical school. One of the pros of leaving the degree to residency is that, by then, you will have a much better idea of your career path (not only the field, but also, whether you'd prefer an academic vs. non-academic practice) and can tailor your research accordingly, or not do it at all. (Although some degree of research is a common component in many residencies, you generally do not need much more than that required during residency to enter a non-academic position. If, however, an academic post, i.e., at a large university, is what you wish then a good deal of research in the field is beneficial.)

Essentially the timing of your research will help to determine which obstacle it will help you leap. If you complete research prior to medical school then it can help you enter medical school and may help you enter a residency (especially if within a related field as that of your residency specialty of choice). If you complete research during medical school then there's the notion that it will be valuable during residency applications, especially if applying to a program in a larger academic centre. If you complete your research during residency then there's a good chance that it will help you at that later step in your career, i.e., to secure fellowships or jobs post-residency.

As to the type of research you do, as long as it's related to your field, whether it's basic science or clinical science, it's largely irrelevant. What's more important is the type of contribution that you make to your field.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hi Kirsteen,

Thanks for your response. I'm still a bit unsure.

I'm currently in first year medicine and I do have a strong interest in basic science research. However, I'm quite unsure of what speciality (if any) I'd like to pursue and whether or not I want to pursue an academic career.

I have spoken to the MD/PhD coordinator at my school and he has indicated that those who choose this path inevitably enter an academic career where they spend as little as and afternoon per week seeing patients in order to remain competitive within the research rhelm. This seems a bit unsatisfactory to me as, at least for now, seeing patients is important to me.

Are physicians who complete their PhDs during residency also 'destined' to take the same path? That is, do they spend relatively little time seeing patients? Or, are their PhDs more of a supplement to their clinical pursuits (a little bit of research on the side; not a priority)?

Hi there,

There seem to be doctors (MD/PhDs or MD/MScs) who fall into all areas of the research:clinical work ratio spectrum. That is, there are some I know who have completed both the MD and graduate degree who are focused on the clinical work solely, and some who take the opposite approach and run very successful labs or clinical research practices. Then, there are a whole host in the middle who do a bit of both. It is possible to be a full-time clinician researcher but it can be tough going as you're spending part of your available hours gunning for the same grants as those who do research full-time. Those doctors who I have seen who have done both successfully tend to have a significant amount of help, i.e., research machines that they have manned by a bevvy of graduate students, post-docs and other support which enable them to churn out the productivity and win the grants.

If you are keen on this path, or just plain interested in learning more, I'd ask your MD/PhD adviser for some names of functioning clinician researchers at your school. Meet with them and pick their brains for a bit. I'm sure you'll learn lots.

There are at least two big pros for deferring your research degree until residency: 1) I've already mentioned this before, but at that time you can tailor your research to your specialty; 2) another is that, during residency, you are paid a resident's salary during the years in which you complete your research training and degree.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived