Premed 101 Forums

"What do u do with ur time and why?"

tarzi

• 3 weeks later...

Space time? What do they mean by space time? I don't have any spare time. I schedule in times when I play and times when I work. If I have any spare time, I spend it doing nothing because I have nothing scheduled or I spend it scheduling.

In all seriousness, I am not applying to Memorial nor have I ever, but I think they just want a picture of what you do outside of your classes.

Well, my original drafted included talking about playing guitar, listening to music, staying healthy, and keeping to date with current events - generic but the truth! "I also like to keep fit, so I spend time at the gym or doing outdoor activities. I have a large album collection so I listen to music quite often." ---> didn't know how else to say it!

So in the end, I decided to scrap that out and wrote about volunteering and its role in my life etc...standard answer to many med school apps, keeping it more formal.

I would seriously stay away from standard. You want to be memorable and for the right reasons. Just talk about you, truly and honestly, the only thing that should be standard about your essay is spelling and grammar. The rest should have your personality weaved through it.

Well, my original drafted included talking about playing guitar, listening to music, staying healthy, and keeping to date with current events - generic but the truth! "I also like to keep fit, so I spend time at the gym or doing outdoor activities. I have a large album collection so I listen to music quite often." ---> didn't know how else to say it!

So in the end, I decided to scrap that out and wrote about volunteering and its role in my life etc...standard answer to many med school apps, keeping it more formal.

Honestly, your first draft sounded a whole lot interesting than your final draft!

You can't possibly expect the admissions committee to believe that all you do with your time is volunteer. I would definitely include things that make you different - what you like to do in your 'free' time. It says something about who you are and that's what the admissions committee is trying to find out!

I agree with Madz, as I always do ;) (you and I should be studying histo not ezboarding...) I didn't have the greatest academic application (it got me into the ball park) and I had about average volunteering... When I got to the interview I realized that lots of us had very similar academic and volunteering stuff....

So my first year at MUN applying I was chatting and discover that we have all travelled and volunteered and the rest of the lot could use words like "honours" and "full scholarships" whereas I used words like "extension, and B"...

But then I had my interview and we hardly talked at all about acadmics and just a touch on volunteering. ... when i got feedback after the big R... they said what ever i did in the interview was super! and to do it again. ... they said that interms of everything else than academic i was fine- just either a bit better in the gpa or the mcat world....

All of that to say- what makes you you is what is going to be talked about in the interview and in the adcom comittee... If volunteering defines your entire life then yeah talk about that... but everyone else is applying with some volunteering ... so write about something to give the interviewers something to talk to you about.

I guess the "take home message" is WELL ROUNDEDNESS!! I'm at Dal now (waitlisted at MUN) and i can't think of a single person in my class whose extra curriculars are soley volunteering- lots of us did and do... but lots do music and art and sport and tons of fabulously interesting things also.... That is what i think set us apart-

Good luck and remember... You are you and that is who should get into med, not you on paper,:rolleyes:

Scooter

Archived