Premed 101 Forums

IB University Transfer Credits + American Med schools

Hi everyone,

I have a question re: prerequisite courses for American med schools.

I took International Baccalaureate in high school and got university credit for English, Calculus, and Chemistry all at 100-level for 1 F.C.E. each.

I noticed that some med schools say on their website that IB credits are acceptable...but I wasn't assigned marks for these transfer credits although I do have IB marks for them.

I was wondering if there was anybody out there who has done IB and applied to US med schools where their IB credits counted.

I am especially interested if their Higher level Chemistry (mine was with org. chem option) was counted toward general chemistry requirement.

Thanks a lot!

• 8 months later...

In my experience, schools are generally ok with math and English pre-reqs being taken in that manner, but aren't too happy to accept HS bio and chemistry. I think your best bet is to e-mail or browse the website of the schools you are considering, just to be sure. I have AP calculus and have not encountered any schools that won't take it for the math pre-req, but as I said, from what I recall after browsing all those websites, overall, they don't seem to like IB or AP natural sciences as much - though I don't recall any names off the top of my head. Just try and do some research on your own - eventually you're going to have to go to those schools' websites anyway.

from what i've researched, HL Chem credits will count at some schools as a full credit, others as a 1/2 credit (which i have to make up this year with an inorganic chem 1/2 credit :( ). I think the same goes for Bio but if you're like most premeds i'm sure you have many advanced biology courses which you can substitute for it.

Also, even though you had an organic chem component in HL chem, it will most likely count as an inorganic chemistry credit (first year chem), and you will have to make sure you have an organic chemistry credit from another course to meet all the requirments.

Hope that helps.

that being said, does anyone know if we should forward a copy of our IB transcripts to AMCAS or to the school directly? Or do we simply need a statement from our school's registrars office saying that they don't have a copy of our IB official record?

Archived