Premed 101 Forums

The OOP formula

Hello all,

This is my first time applying and I was wondering about the OOP formula. It says in the manual that OOP applicants are ranked and the top 125 are reviewed. So basically, if I did not meet the cut off, would they not even bother looking into my file? (that kinda sucks if you ask me).

Last's year's cut off number was 449... I calculated and i'm about 20 points below this... =(

Thanks in advance.

Hello all,

So basically, if I did not meet the cut off, would they not even bother looking into my file? (that kinda sucks if you ask me).

Last's year's cut off number was 449... I calculated and i'm about 20 points below this... =(

you are correct: if your oop application #s fall just below the cutoff, your application goes straight into the recycle bin.

last year, there were many people speculating what the new cutoff would be and whether they should apply or not. because the number of files that could be reviewed actually went up, many speculated that the cutoff # would go down. therefore, lots of people who were below last year's cutoffs applied anyway, and were disappointed when cutoffs went up (or stayed the same?) instead.

what does this mean? (practically speaking, of course):

a) cutoffs almost never go down for any institution, especially given the general upward trend in marks that university students are now experiencing

B) since you're 20 points under, i would personally save my money and go on a shopping spree instead (since that money was going to be spent anyway ;))

edit: yup, i was wrong about the oop cutoff. but if you think about it, the chances of the cutoff dropping by 20 points is actually quite slim. it's true that you'll never know if you don't apply, but then you'd have to think about the probability.

I think you should go ahead and apply. Remember that luck plays a significant role in medical school admissions as there are many MANY similarly well (or over) qualified applicants for a limited number of spots. Thus, by increasing the number of places you apply to, you consequently increase your odds of getting in someplace.

I also heard through the grapewine that Calgary may increase their enrollment to 150 for next year (Nothing confirmed yet!!!!) so if this happens, the OOP score may drop just a little bit.

Good luck!

Do they evaluate non-academic criteria for OOP for deciding who gets an interview? I thought academics is only 50% right?

Or do they use that formula to rank OOP, and then only look at top-150's non-academics and from the top-150 select people for interview?

Someone please elaborate! I sent an email to Calgary and they had a very vague reply!

Thanks,

Paul

Paulchemguy,

From what I can tell, UofC uses the OOP cutoff to determine the 'top' 150 applicants (OOP). They then review the applications of these 150 applicants using the in-province weightings and choose the top 85 heavy hitters.

Therefore, they only look at non-academics for OOP applicants if you have made the cutoff first.

Hope this helps.

Hadn't thought about it til now really, especially since I had to rewrite my MCAT due to an 8 in verbal (and the stupid formula doesn't look at PS, in which i had a 14, which i guess doesn't matter to them), but got my scores back and raised VR to an 11 and BS to a 13, so according to my calculations, I'm like 1.3 above last year's cutoff. So yeah, since the app isn't due for another two weeks still, i'm considering applying still....

Ok. Now that Aug MCATs are out, who's going to apply?

I am 0.3 away from last year's cut off. PLEASE let me squeak past this year.

Edit: hah, just kept looking at the info on the website there and realized that when they only look at VR and BS, that's just for the initial rankings.

Archived