Premed 101 Forums

Since I filled out my application

For example: our clerkship consists of an 8-month-long placement, with no financial support, in a family practice, in cities that are a minimum of several hours from Sudbury.

Are you telling me you are doing family medicine for 8 months of clerkship?? I find that hard to believe... Or are family docs teaching the varying specialties, ie would you do obstetrics by following a family doc doing ob?

At UWO, we have to spend 4 weeks "rurally" but most student do this through a program like NOMP, ROMP, etc where lodging and travel are provided. In fact most students enjoy doing rural family med because you do much more then just family med. I am really looking forward to my placements in Stratford (psych) and Wawa (family).

Vector.

I may not be able to spell (according to you), but you seemingly cannot read. I said i know who BigNickel is. Because i know him/her i also know this persons situation....and yes i know what rhetorical means....an example in my first post may be reviewed. And "how can you conclude" that i dont know what it means...your post is meaningless and like the others a waste of my time and effort.

AMmd...its no coincidence there is "big" in both our names. I know BigNickel which is why i am challenging his post...

BigFace,

Actually, that's according to the English dictionary (take your pick of the myriad available).

Guest BigNickel
Are you telling me you are doing family medicine for 8 months of clerkship?? I find that hard to believe... Or are family docs teaching the varying specialties, ie would you do obstetrics by following a family doc doing ob?

...more like that - although if we don't get adequate exposure to obs/psych/etc. etc - we are expected to use our electives to make up for it. Re: placements & no financial support... I think most of us have enjoyed our placements and found them to be beneficial...but those students who have a mortgage in Sudbury or Thunder Bay and are being forced to take up a 2nd residence are S*O*L*.

Vector...

Actually, it was according to you as it was your ignorant assessment. Since you seem to be an official on the subject lets see some of your work. Perhaps you could find something intellectual or at least meaningful to challenge me with next time. I'm sure you are quite able to do this, i know you can do it. Just try harder and expect more from yourself then just childish derision. When an argument exists that is challenging in some way it is a simple debating-technique to divert people from the problem at hand. It is a manner in which someone with nothing to offer takes control, a passive aggressive and subsequently addled effort.

BigNickel...

You still have not demonstrated (in my view) why someone should not attent the NOSM. Well, in all fairness i guess if i had a mortgage i should reconsider!?

BigFace,

Play nice !!!

um... it's okay to disagree with people's opinions, but I think that if you are trying to get in to medical school, you may want to reconsider your whole approach to ppl ... even when you think you can say anything because you are anonymous... it just reflects really badly on you.

where are the moderators ?

there's always someone who likes to get ppl going, just before the interview invites are sent out.... I guess it has started. It's pretty sad actually

Actually, none of the curriculum components surrounding electives, specialty exposure, etc. have been set in stone and the NOSM Student Society is working full-time to negotiate a fair shake for the students. A curriculum that prepares students at least on an equal footing with other Canadian medical graduates in terms of preparedness and competitiveness for post-graduate positions is within reach. The tiresome task of taking battle positions every time a new piece of the curriculum unfolds is the price the Charter Class pays for getting to say we were in the Charter Class for the rest of our lives. But it's working. The difference between what we have now and what we would have had if no one had spoken up is astouding, and there is still much progress to be made.

Guest BigNickel
A curriculum that prepares students at least on an equal footing with other Canadian medical graduates in terms of preparedness and competitiveness for post-graduate positions is within reach.

...if you are very very tall. Really tall.

BigNickel...

You always have these opinions but you never support them with facts. Who, what, where, when...etc...remember grade 1? its very simple, if one gives an opinion that others may make decisions by one should supply some details as to the validity of their opinion....its one of the basic things you should have learned in the CBL and other sections...And so Mother-Nathalie clams up, yes all people have a right to an opinion.

So come on BigNickel, lets see some facts...well, in retrospect you did say that if i had a mortgage i should reconsider my choice. In light of that information I wait to be further enlighted with your insight on choosing medical schools.

BigFace,

Well, first off (as a NOSM student) I just want to say that if you choose your path in life according to others dissatisfaction, you will never reach your goals. If we are in this program, then obviously we made the choice to come here. NOSM didn't apply to us; we applied to it.

If you do decide to go to any school, you will find others there that are either happy, or not. Before you invest your tuition in any program you should investigate it to your own satisfaction and decide if it will provide the education that you want. Give your acceptance to the program that best suits your learning styles.

With NOSM, as with any other program, you will only get out of it what you put in to it. You will need to expect to work hard, and it is wise to develop social support networks to help you through the trying times. Every program has them! Plan to experience new communities (mortgage or not) as well as different learning modalities.

Many of us are able to look back over the past year and a half and realize just how much we have learned. It hasn't been the easiest education I've undertaken, but it is certainly the program that I've learned the most from. It's also the program I've worked the hardest in.

I am HappyEnough in my choices, and grateful to have been offered a seat at this school.

P.S. Referring to the school as NOMS would not affect your application score, if I was one of the ones that reviewed it. Many people still refer to us as that and there are far more important aspects to score your application on.

Wow!

An intelligent post! Thanks HappyEnough.

I couldn't agree with you more. Some are ready for that style of learning and others are not. Often PLL's complaints are just mearly a reflection of their own failures in life. Instead of self reflection and honest adjustments they blame others. Very well put HappyEnough and i wish you great success in the future.

BigFace,

Archived