Premed 101 Forums

What is Full-Time for GPA purposes?

This question has been asked, but not answered, a couple of times on this forum. Does anyone know if it is strictly required that 5.0 courses in each of two consecutive years must meet the cutoffs? Or is 4.0 or 4.5 considered full-time (as in some schools). My final 3 years are all past the cutoff but are 5, 4.5, 5 courses, respectively. It's going to be a real drag if the 4.5 year doesn't count, and the 5's are no good because they are one year apart!! :confused:

While I don't know the answer 100% for sure, I do know that Dal is relatively flexible and understanding. My guess is that 4.5 is close enough and that you will have no problem. I think that the purpose of the fulltime rule is to make sure all people are on the same playing field. In other words...all applicants had to attain high grades under a relatively similar load of work. So, 4.5 I think will be fine, whereas 2 credits per year would definitely not.

While I truly can't imagine it happening, IF for some reason your 4.5 year is not counted, I think you'd be able to communicate with the admissions folks and possibly be reconsidered. Seeing that you have two fulltime years above the cut-off and 1 year that was also above the cut-off but only missing one course at the worst, I think you'll be eligible one way or the other.

Much luck!

JL

<><

Archived