Premed 101 Forums

Reference Letter etiquette

shrink

I applied to some Ontario schools and so I e-mailed some contacts to ask for reference letters. Later on, I heard that it is rude to ask over e-mail? To make matters worse, since I don't live in the same town as them, I didn't think to send them stamps and envelopes. Looking back, I realize that what I did was pretty rude!

I feel really bad, so I was wondering what you guys would suggest to do in this situation? I was going to send thank you notes, and I will do that for sure. I was thinking of adding a little gift too (for example, I know one of my supervisors really likes chocolate!).

OMSAS received all their letters already. I still need them to write some of my OOP letters. Should I wait until the whole process is over and then send thank you's?

I was actually planning on asking a couple of the same references for letters for grad schools/scholarship applications which are due in Feb. (I've already given them a heads up, although haven't sent the forms yet). I hope they aren't really mad about the e-mail/stamps thing...:S

If your next batch of letters isn't going out until February, I'd send a thank you card now and gift at the end of it all.

2 of my referees are incredibly stressed out women (Usually they're ok, but this month-yikes!) so I'm sending them flowers next week b/c they need them and to say thanks. My 3rd referee will just be getting a well thought out card.

If i were you i would send a small gift after these letters with a note expressing that you were sorry about not including addressed stamped envelopes. Next time (feb) if everything goes well i would just send a card at that tine

Personally I don't think the email request is that bad especially since you live out of town. Maybe should have been followed up with phone call though to see if they had any questions or something.

goodluck!

Archived